When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I broke a Chain on my 60' Jag :(

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

T1Callahan

Look Ma, No Hands!
Yesterday, I was trying to make a ride a bit more fun for my young son and attempted to Race my Son; My bike had other ideas and was not happy with that and the chain broke. I think I can just replace with a master link but Im not sure what I should buy: Im not sure of the size I need to get. I believe it is a 1" pitch, but I dont know how the width is measured. Also, How do they count links. Do you only count Outer links or is the inner link also counted?

I suspect that you have 1/8" (0.125", 3.18 mm) chain if your Schwinn Jaguar is a single speed or internal gear hub.

This resource may help:

1" pitch is what's known as 'skip tooth', 1/2" pitch is what most post 1955 coaster and geared hub bikes.

The skip tooth 1”-pitch chain was often 3/16” wide, fairly heavy duty, and can be ascertained by the different size links, long and short; (or the skipped teeth on the sprockets).
For a 1960’s bike 1/2” pitch by 1/8” width would have been fairly standard. One may find a heavier duty 3/16” width but that may be too wide. Multi speed deraileur bicycles and some BXM bikes may use a narrower 3/32” chain, but that may be too skinny.
One may count links either way, as long as consistency is maintained; it’s sometimes twice as easy to count half the links. Chain sellers may also specify the length in inches, or number of links. For a new chain the length (e.g., 56”), should be half the number of links (e.g., 112L); for an old used worn chain, the length may be longer.
When one arbitrary link breaks, one might also consider an entirely new chain.

Last edited:
Chains are cheap.I would get a complete new chain.Local bike shop can fix ya up if you are not sure.Bring them the bike and chain and they will pop on a new one if you dont want to play around.

Hey Superman....ease up on the Wheaties...

Screenshot_20200329-123514.png

Back