When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I can't compete.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikewhorder

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I used to feel like I did a pretty good job of keeping my finger on the pulse of antique bicycle commerce but anymore seems like it's happening at a breakneck speed and I don't even know where its taking place. You see threads were everyone's lamenting missing a Craigslist deal that just popped up and these people are all over the country. I think there's like 472 antique bicycle classified pages on Facebook now and somehow some people know exactly what's going on on all of them at once. I'm always late to every party anymore. Seems like the only time I find anything really good online it's the stuff that really fell through the cracks and it's been sitting on the Internet (or on the front porch:mask:) for a really long time. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me? Anybody who is winning at this care to share how it is that they can comb through millions of classifieds once ? I think I'm just going to stick with making the bikes that I want to own from scratch. It's so much less frustrating.

Last edited:
There probably using something like Searchtempest that scans all Craig’s. And I totally agree with you. I don’t do Facebook and miss a lot. Guess I’ll have to join....don’t want get left in the proverbial internet dust.

Problem with the FB groups is all 472 groups have the same stuff for sale on all of them. As far as craigslist, I check my local CL multiple times daily and still don't find much I want to buy. Sometimes I get lucky and find stuff I want here on CABE, ebay or local swaps. Got some cool stuff at ML today.

I dont get all worked up anymore if I miss a bike.If its meant to be it will be.I used to waste most of the time searching for old bikes but not anymore.I just think back to the old days before computers and reminisce how hard it was to find an old bike.I may miss many but it is much easier to find a bike now than it used to be.

Problem with the FB groups is all 472 groups have the same stuff for sale on all of them. As far as craigslist, I check my local CL multiple times daily and still don't find much I want to buy. Sometimes I get lucky and find stuff I want here on CABE, ebay or local swaps. Got some cool stuff at ML today.
Jay81 I sent you a pm.

I used to feel like I did a pretty good job of keeping my finger on the pulse of antique bicycle commerce but anymore seems like it's happening at a breakneck speed and I don't even know where its taking place. You see threads were everyone's lamenting missing a Craigslist deal that just popped up and these people are all over the country. I think there's like 472 antique bicycle classified pages on Facebook now and somehow some people know exactly what's going on on all of them at once. I'm always late to every party anymore. Seems like the only time I find anything really good online it's the stuff that really fell through the cracks and it's been sitting on the Internet (or on the front porch:mask:) for a really long time. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me? Anybody who is winning at this care to share how it is that they can comb through millions of classifieds once ? I think I'm just going to stick with making the bikes that I want to own from scratch. It's so much less frustrating.

I was just thinking about this today, and my favorite, most satisfying bikes (the ones I ride the most) are the beaters that I've put together myself. Even over my nicer complete original bikes. Personally I've given up even trying to hunt down bikes anymore. Hey, I've got an idea, maybe you could put your new-found energy and money into fixing up that great house of yours? It's your biggest cash cow, and Lord knows, you've certainly got the talent to do it. You may be really glad you did when you get to be my age thirty years down the road. And you will get there my friend, we all do. Advice?, take it or leave it.

Last edited:
buying more bikes leads to other bikes as people see you buying them and offer you ones they have. 2 years ago I bought a REALLY crappy 19-teens bike a flea market. Elderly man walked by and said he has barn full of TOC bikes and later era from high wheeler to 1920's plus other "stuff" three trailer and truck loads of cheap (his prices) EARLY bikes, pedal cars, parts, etc! If it's meant to be it'll be! Keep buying and praying to the pickin gods!

I was just thinking about this today, and my favorite, most satisfying bikes (the ones I ride the most) are the beaters that I've put together myself. Even over my nicer complete original bikes. Personally I've given up even trying to hunt down bikes anymore. Hey, I've got an idea, maybe you could put your new-found energy and money into fixing up that great house of yours? It's your biggest cash cow, and Lord knows, you've certainly got the talent to do it. You may be really glad you did when you get to be my age thirty years down the road. And you will get there my friend, we all do. Advice?, take it or leave it.
You had me right up to "new found energy and money..." Where did i ever mention such a thing? I feel like I barely have the energy and cash reserves to wash my own dishes. I look at all those fancy colorful bottles of dish soap in the store and think "someday".

Back