When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I could use help with a second Schwinn Superior I found

-
I didn't think much of it at first since that was built back up with none original parts. Now I'm thinking it may have been a Racer model where the parts were harvested or just taken off and replaced for some reason. The fork has no fender mounting tab indicating this was not a tourist model. Or maybe the fork was replaced? I wonder if there is any trace of the hat in ring seat tube decal left or if it never had one.
I could not find any decal traces on the seat or down tube. As I mentioned above I own a racer already. The forks appear to be the same with the exception that this one includes a front brake, whereas my mine is not drilled for it. But of course they could have done that after to make it work. Also it includes pin striping so I'm sure it's original.

Last edited:
I finally picked it up. I’ll post pics later today. And I confirmed it’s definitely a racer.
Waiting to learn more! I would agree with everything you said so far. But B serial means 1939, I think. FWIW, my gut feeling is that these are much rarer than Paramounts. And I suspect they were brazed by the same few brazers in probably the same jigs. Would that have been someone named Wastyn? Seems like fitting the miters and the actual brazing might have taken a bit more skill than using the very expensive for the time, lug set. Catalog shows Paramount frame at $30, Superior at $20. I think the Paramount tube set might have been more expensive, also. I have a similar condition 1940 in original but chipped burgundy. Tourer model but one ancient brake caliper. Nice find. Chicago history.

So this the condition how I picked it up last night.
F066548C-820B-4BC0-9B03-74E458E40528.jpeg

last night and this morning I tore it all apart. One cotter is a bit stubborn.
EA693810-A86C-4D4F-A9A4-D2F7E9AD9DD2.jpeg

FBBAC6C7-7C07-4BC2-8D16-EB4493C72549.jpeg
9624C40B-6172-45E4-8785-2092E5105F56.jpeg

Additional pictures can be found here.

Once I’m able to remove the cotter pin and clean up the white one I’ll do a frame comparison between both 1939 Superior Racer frames. There definitely are some.

Things like this and EVERY single bolt on my rusty VW buses make me think I should invest in an induction spot heater. Surely don't want to put a torch ANYWHERE near that baby. But a tiny bit of heat would probably help. Anybody else bought such a heater or researched it?

As promised a comparison between the repainted blue Schwinn Superior Racer with serial number B487 and white/cream Schwinn Superior Racer with serial number B791.

The two main differences:
1. Rear brake bridge
356C74E6-8928-4A3D-9E4E-B00C49850006.jpeg

2. drilled vs non drilled fork (rear)
32C6547B-2842-4250-91C9-D0055C0AFAE1.jpeg

The blue front brake indeed is drilled.
FE74C362-BF3F-43E1-81C0-34234003D17C.jpeg

Other pictures of both frames (I cleaned up the white frame) can be found here.

Last edited:
Back