I could use some inspiration

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Chavez

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 30, 2012
Hello All,
I’ve been working on a 1981 Schwinn Cruiser 5. It’s a blue non drum brake version. I purchased it several years ago, 5+ I think. I am the second owner and I basically implied to the original owner that I wouldn’t sell it and it would be a keeper.

i started the year down January 2019 as a “back burner” kind of project. It had lots of white overspray all over from kids doing a project in the garage. It was on the frame, fork, chain guard, pedals and some chrome. The rims were badly rusted. The front is near perfectly straight, maybe one tiny sidewall ding. The back rim is trashed and I knew that when I bought it, but it’s a major hang up for me now. I was going to just run it but it has like 6 bulges on one side. The hubs are good. I replaced cones on front and rear. The cups were in excellent but not perfect on both.
So here’s the thing. I’ve hit the wall with the polishing and attempted removal of the white overspray. Also I have a NOS S2 for these bikes that I paid up for and somehow I don’t feel like this bike is “worth it”.
Here’s some pics taken over time, none are particularly good pics unfortunately. The first two are in as found condition. He removed original chainring, handlebars and stem. Also he put on Suntour GT derailleur and thumbshifter as well as shimano brake levers. So the bike is far from original.
Inspiration please!

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
So, ask the guy to buy it back for what, excluding the new rims that I too wouldn't put on that frame but, at your current cost and a little fair priced labor. . He'll Prob back out and release ya. That's reasonable. Or? If your morals itch, like me, It ought to be just as fair to sell it at what original owner should buy it back for, minus your wasted effort (labor or whatever) and U can stick Rumplestilskin on the new guy's trip. [grin]

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammerhead and Sven

frankandpam

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jan 21, 2016
Tacoma Wa
Personally, I think this happens all the time. You get jazzed up on something and interest changes. People always say I'll never sell. Unless it's your best friends dads Bluebird, should be no guilt. When you told him you wouldn't sell what you meant is I'm not buying to flip it, I'm buying to enjoy. You did, now let someone else enjoy it. You put more into it, so selling for more is not a crime. If he had sold it to someone else, it probably just would have been trash by now anyway.You saved it to this point. Move on now and get something else that your jazzed about. It's doesn't even make you a jerk. Enjoy the hobby.

Chavez

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks to all who replied or even looked at my post. All input is appreciated by me. It may end up in the for sale forum in pieces. At least it would be ready to ship. If I do get the time and inspiration to finish it, Ill post some done pics.

Hammerhead

I live for the CABE
Oct 5, 2018
Franklin,NH
Should have no guilt if you decide to sell it. They do make good riders, so the buyer will more than likely finish it. Besides I am sure that whoever you bought it from may have forgotten about it by now. Unless they were an avid collector.
Hammerhead

This ad goes away when you register for an account!