When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I could use some inspiration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks guys, an yup, it's a drum brake, kind of hard to see the 2nd brake cable on the girls bike, but everything should move over perfectly. Just a clean and polish and grease to get it going.

Here’s the fork fresh out of the evaporust. You can see where I had a small section of the threads repaired. They do a real good job at this over at Yellow Jersey.

BE01A7B2-37C7-43E5-8396-8CBC11915083.jpeg

F169BC3E-6501-46AC-A7C1-249FCF5CD3C5.jpeg

Thanks guys, an yup, it's a drum brake, kind of hard to see the 2nd brake cable on the girls bike, but everything should move over perfectly. Just a clean and polish and grease to get it going.
You’ll have to spread the frame to 130mm as well.

Moving right along. Got my 6 speed freewheel installed and to my surprise it caused no clearance issues! I had dry fit it before and it cleared the outer locknut on the drive side of the hub, so it was game time!
A little cruiser 5 intricacy, the non drum brake 5 speeds have a frame spacing of 126mm and the drum brake spitfires and cruisers are spaced at 130mm.
I tried this 6 speed freewheel on a drum brake version in the past and it was proud of the outer locknut. I knew it wouldn’t work unless I re-spaced the hub. I do that stuff when I’m building a new wheel, but i don’t like re-centering an old wheel that’s already built up.
So I was happy to see that for some reason it works with the ACS rear hub.
I also trued up the front sprocket, overhauled the derailleur and brakes. I even had a modern HG compatible chain in brown so it doesn’t look so out of place.
I have to scrounge up some brake levers, get cable housing, and I’m pretty much good to go. Thanks for looking.

EA65C027-3872-4DD0-AD0A-A706834FBBA0.jpeg

884A0B6B-8C79-43DA-9141-FB92F8BF6B43.jpeg

The 5 on the chain guard looks like it could easily be converted to a 6. 😜
It sure does! I had the idea to do some sort of sticker that said +1 after the 5. I haven’t put anymore thought into actually doing it though. Thanks for the reply! I know I, and probably everyone else on the Cabe really appreciate having you as a member.

Maiden voyage. I had to change out the Suntour GT that the original owner put on when it was newish. It just couldn’t work nicely with the 6 speed. The bars are also original owner installed. I decided to put them on until my period correct ones arrive from a cabe member. The seat is trashed. I’ll probably put on a modern seat until I can get that sorted. Other than that it rides very well. Much better than I was expecting. But hey, it’s still no Rivendell! Lol.
Love the bike though. This particular one took a lot of will power and perseverance. Don’t know why, it’s obviously not the most ornate or complicated bike on the cabe. Nevertheless it did and I’m glad it’s done! Inspiration complete!
Thanks everyone who checked out my post.
Chavez

E9171A13-AD98-4E61-8C87-2AB9525ADF27.jpeg

Once they're all dialed in, they make great riders. I sold my 81 to fund my first Corvette 5 project and I still kick myself for selling it.

Once they're all dialed in, they make great riders. I sold my 81 to fund my first Corvette 5 project and I still kick myself for selling it.
Mine is definitely dialed in. I left the shifter housing a little long to facilitate handle bar swap, changes etc.. I love the bike and the moon bars are comfy. Not crazy about the look though. I may put a bar end shifter on there down the road.
Did you have a caliper brake model or drum? I much prefer the calipers front and rear. Thanks for the insight. I’ll consider that before I go to sell.

Back