When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I could use some inspiration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Chavez

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello All,
I’ve been working on a 1981 Schwinn Cruiser 5. It’s a blue non drum brake version. I purchased it several years ago, 5+ I think. I am the second owner and I basically implied to the original owner that I wouldn’t sell it and it would be a keeper.

i started the year down January 2019 as a “back burner” kind of project. It had lots of white overspray all over from kids doing a project in the garage. It was on the frame, fork, chain guard, pedals and some chrome. The rims were badly rusted. The front is near perfectly straight, maybe one tiny sidewall ding. The back rim is trashed and I knew that when I bought it, but it’s a major hang up for me now. I was going to just run it but it has like 6 bulges on one side. The hubs are good. I replaced cones on front and rear. The cups were in excellent but not perfect on both.
So here’s the thing. I’ve hit the wall with the polishing and attempted removal of the white overspray. Also I have a NOS S2 for these bikes that I paid up for and somehow I don’t feel like this bike is “worth it”.
Here’s some pics taken over time, none are particularly good pics unfortunately. The first two are in as found condition. He removed original chainring, handlebars and stem. Also he put on Suntour GT derailleur and thumbshifter as well as shimano brake levers. So the bike is far from original.
Inspiration please!

So, ask the guy to buy it back for what, excluding the new rims that I too wouldn't put on that frame but, at your current cost and a little fair priced labor. . He'll Prob back out and release ya. That's reasonable. Or? If your morals itch, like me, It ought to be just as fair to sell it at what original owner should buy it back for, minus your wasted effort (labor or whatever) and U can stick Rumplestilskin on the new guy's trip. [grin]

Last edited:
Personally, I think this happens all the time. You get jazzed up on something and interest changes. People always say I'll never sell. Unless it's your best friends dads Bluebird, should be no guilt. When you told him you wouldn't sell what you meant is I'm not buying to flip it, I'm buying to enjoy. You did, now let someone else enjoy it. You put more into it, so selling for more is not a crime. If he had sold it to someone else, it probably just would have been trash by now anyway.You saved it to this point. Move on now and get something else that your jazzed about. It's doesn't even make you a jerk. Enjoy the hobby.

Thanks to all who replied or even looked at my post. All input is appreciated by me. It may end up in the for sale forum in pieces. At least it would be ready to ship. If I do get the time and inspiration to finish it, Ill post some done pics.

Here we are almost 2 1/2 years later. A lot has happened since my last post, but I’m finally getting back to this project.
I re-hooped the rear wheel with an excellent A+ condition rim that I purchased as a whole coaster wheel with a studded balloon tire mounted up. The wheel build came out excellent. Unfortunately a few things sat for too long and have now rusted even though they were ready to assemble some time ago. I have to clean up the cups in the bottom bracket and headset because of this. I have the fork threads and exposed steel soaking in evaporust because it too sat and got some surface rust. More to come! Check out pics. I put a 6 speed IRD 14-32 freewheel on because it’s a nice upgrade and the original was long gone when I got it due to mods done by original owner. Thanks for looking.

ED189650-5EA5-4335-ABAA-B4EA00429692.jpeg

CD22E13B-AD66-41F1-A5FE-D3469F99F424.jpeg

6DD6812A-72D1-4F9E-B3A0-5D390206C5B7.jpeg

5357DC49-93A6-436B-A8C9-46E6F5128A44.jpeg

29C309D7-73C3-4CCD-ACBB-78E4A853DF7E.jpeg

AF663A52-2735-4DCA-A36F-A11BE1EFC2C8.jpeg

61126EDC-59AC-4CFB-B7DD-E2DD064757FC.jpeg

That's a brilliant use of a tomato cage! I'll file that one away for future use! Good luck! Might just give me a push to get my Spitfire 5 done!

Going to transfer the 5 speed parts from the girls bike to the boys single speed. Thanks for reminding me about them! Mine have been hanging almost 2 years now! Joe.

That's a brilliant use of a tomato cage! I'll file that one away for future use! Good luck! Might just give me a push to get my Spitfire 5 done! View attachment 1702974
Going to transfer the 5 speed parts from the girls bike to the boys single speed. Thanks for reminding me about them! Mine have been hanging almost 2 years now! Joe.
You will need to find the fender bridge adapter to accept a caliper brake unless it has a drum. A fine example of when it is ok to part out a ladies bike. Good luck great project

That's a brilliant use of a tomato cage! I'll file that one away for future use! Good luck! Might just give me a push to get my Spitfire 5 done! View attachment 1702974
Thanks for the inspiration! Good luck with the swap-a-roo. Looks like a slam dunk. Mine won’t have the original Positron shifting system. It’ll be running the 6 speed with a 32 tooth instead of just a 28 with a suntour ratcheting friction shifter. It’s going to be awesome. If I had all the original stuff I’d keep it, but original owner scrapped all that stuff from the beginning.

Back