When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID Help Please.

-

orangewill

Look Ma, No Hands!
Friend showed up with this incredibly original Schwinn New World. S/N K47317 with a small "SD" stamped above the numbers. My guess is 1933-1936 but I am not sure. I appreciate any help identifying this beauty. It sports a Musselman model M rear hub. Large flange front hub. Original black paint. Through-frame seat post bolt. The gooseneck is curious as well. Thanks be to CABE for all you do.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I'm not positive, but I believe I heard 36 was the first year for The New World line.

I think you might be right. So that puts it post 1936. Also, the drop-outs are hooked. I believe Schwinn started that in 1946? I can't find the serial numbers listed so I am now thinking 1946 - 1947?

Last edited:
I'm going with postwar as well. I believe that stem was also used on lower line D models? as well. V/r Shawn

My (by no means) expert opinion is very early post war. Bike exhibits post war attributes but has none of those classically identifiable 1950's Schwinn traits/parts.

The New World line began in 1938 and was the first time that Schwinn used forward dropouts. Lightweights were the only forward facers for Schwinn before the war. That said, I'd say this is either a very late prewar or very early postwar. Braised seat clamp suggests prewar. I'd guess it was either one of the few '42 frames with the blackout parts, or a '45 right when Schwinn got back into the game and hadn't retooled yet for the seat clamps. Serial also suggests in this time frame as well but I'm not a wartime expert on Schwinn.. just familiar with this model.

I have 3 frames. an F, G and an I. I believe all are prewar. Wonderful bicycles.. excellent geometry and smooth makes for great riders.

The New World line began in 1938 and was the first time that Schwinn used forward dropouts. Lightweights were the only forward facers for Schwinn before the war. That said, I'd say this is either a very late prewar or very early postwar. Braised seat clamp suggests prewar. I'd guess it was either one of the few '42 frames with the blackout parts, or a '45 right when Schwinn got back into the game and hadn't retooled yet for the seat clamps. Serial also suggests in this time frame as well but I'm not a wartime expert on Schwinn.. just familiar with this model.

I have 3 frames. an F, G and an I. I believe all are prewar. Wonderful bicycles.. excellent geometry and smooth makes for great riders.

I would agree it's right around WWII. The skiptooth set up is by no means proof of prewar. My 1947 is original and has chromed skiptooth parts. You have the older type stem on yours. The seatpost clamp set up on yours is older, as are the braces for the fenders. Your bike does not appear to have a braze-on for the chainguard either. Also, you have the bolt-on kickstand and not the brazed-on type. So I would say either immediately before or immediately after WWII. By 1947 they were using the updated brace, seat clamp, and chainguard setup. I love these bikes and have been rebuilding one from 1947 for a couple months now on the Bike Shed Blog. They are peppy riders and really nicely built for an adult.

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/

FYI, the '53 Panther and Hornet were still skiptooth drive, w/the sweetheart chainring. Maybe 54 but I'm not sure.

Back