When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I.D.my Columbia Military Model

-

sam

I live for the CABE
SAM ... please send us a pic of the south-pole of the hanger-bracket on your Military Model Columbia ... also ... a few pics of the fender bridges ... and .. close-up pics
of the under-tank-bar joins to the frame ... some folks call these trumpet-mouth joins. The spirit-voice in my head says ... "dude .. that bicycle may be a Davis-Built !!"

........ thata frame ... sheeza drivin' me cray-zee !!!!!!! There is not enough Prozac on the planet to make the spirit-voice take a nap !!!! i gots to know !!!

Thank you, SAM ........................ patric Reply With Quote .

Thanks for the inquiry Patric.This is just the way Collin and I invisioned this group.
a bit of history on the bike: As I said on the G503 forum this bike is a pieced together but I feel ti repersents a Columbia Military Model--and possably it is a Tru military bike.
I got the frame off ebay several years ago--seller said he though it was a Columbia but not sure.The bike came out of Hawaii and came painted in battleship gray paint(not factory)
It hung in my shop several years while I tryed to piece together what it was.I even looked online at Your(Patric)Flying Merkle,Schwinns,Meads etc.Nothing fit.
So what I.D.s it as a columbia frame? The head tube. Columbia bikes use a Pope or Westfield held pattened head tube.I'll follow-up with some photos.

This is the bike as I restored it
1918finished2-1.jpg

The fenders and braces are from the era , common 28" style
grips are gray/pedals are late but have white rubber blocks.These three parts are the "best" replacements for Originals I could get.
The paint was coded by Phil Eckman to the color under his headbadge.Military paint code 30118.

SAM ... thank you for a brilliantly-informative article surrounding your Columia Military Bicycle !!! The pics of your bicycle
are greatly appreciated and put to rest any churning possiblity that your wheel is anything other than a Columbia-Built !!!
WELL DONE, SAM !!! ....................... patric

POST SCRIPT ......... COLIN .... if you're out there .... thank you for gettin' this Military Thread started !!!

This is the bike as I restored it
1918finished2-1.jpg

The fenders and braces are from the era , common 28" style
grips are gray/pedals are late but have white rubber blocks.These three parts are the "best" replacements for Originals I could get.
The paint was coded by Phil Eckman to the color under his headbadge.Military paint code 30118.

Nice Bike! How about a better photo of the badge?

Hi All,

doing a little research, and came across the original photo for the picture used in the "Army Motors" article in post 4, above.

1606846282573.png

Detail from Getty Image: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...renault-ft-news-photo/591970734?adppopup=true

Sadly, the handlebars don't look very 'Military Model'.

The original caption is:

Two US Army calvalrymen seen here watching a Renault FT light tanks towing a truck loaded with bicycles going forward on the first day of the Battle of Saint-Mihiel. 12th September 1918.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back