When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID my frame

-

fastmunny

On Training Wheels
Any info appreciated. Thanks.

5f335367-1.jpg

05fd8760-1.jpg

283c6155-1.jpg

72251590-1.jpg

2eb7db81-1.jpg

e7619731-1.jpg

c47b040d-1.jpg

017a72bc-1.jpg

987ddfc2-1.jpg

a001b037-1.jpg

It's an AMF frame, you can just barely see behind the fender brace in the brake arm pic, the rack mounting lug that's offset to the inside. They started using that in the mid 50s.

2 issues,
first, Western Auto never made their own bikes so any Western Flyer you find is made by someone else, which means your bike was made by someone else also and may look just like the Western Flyer but may not actually be a Western Flyer.

second, your front fender is on backwards. just kidding, about that being the second issue, the fender is on backwards though. the real second issue is that your bike has many aftermarket parts. you basically have the frame, fork, and a few other pieces to go by.

I agree that most of the attributes tend toward AMF as a probable manufacturer. what the bike was badged is impossible to say as AMF made bikes for so many different people during those years. if you like, Western Flyer is a possible, but so are J.C.Higgins, Hawthorne, and about a dozen others. pick the one you like and find a badge and go with it.

Actually Scott, 30thtbird (Kenny) has pretty much decoded the Murray bikes of the 1960s and 1970s and has found that there are codes that will tell where a bike was sold and in some cases...even the options it had. I know that this is an AMF and not a Murray, but maybe the same codes would apply or similar. We all know that 502 on almost any bike means it was sold at Sears, so?

Anyway, post your serial number and maybe we can find out more. Also, I am working on trying to decode serial numbers for AMF bikes and I think the cranks have dates stamped on them, so if you can, could you pull the crank shaft out and check the numbers (if there are any) and post them here. I have yet find ANYBODY helpful or willing to offer ANY help to ANY of this.

Actually Scott, 30thtbird (Kenny) has pretty much decoded the Murray bikes of the 1960s and 1970s and has found that there are codes that will tell where a bike was sold and in some cases...even the options it had. I know that this is an AMF and not a Murray, but maybe the same codes would apply or similar. We all know that 502 on almost any bike means it was sold at Sears, so?

Anyway, post your serial number and maybe we can find out more. Also, I am working on trying to decode serial numbers for AMF bikes and I think the cranks have dates stamped on them, so if you can, could you pull the crank shaft out and check the numbers (if there are any) and post them here. I have yet find ANYBODY helpful or willing to offer ANY help to ANY of this.

s/n: j064658 on left rear drop out
Thanks for the replys. I am still a noob on bike history and learning something new everyday.

Back