When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID of late 1930's Bicycle?

-

Jonswan

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am looking to identify the bike in this image. The original image is poor but it is of my late father with the inscription "on new bike about 10 (years old)" which would be 1938. It does not look like a Schwinn, but notice the chain sprocket design, two-tone paint scheme, lack of truss rods or springers, dart on front fork, rear stand, square rear fender supports, all black tires, etc. Elgin, Hawthorn, Goodyear, or ? Any help is appreciated, thank you.
1938 bike.jpg

Looks like a Murray built Sears Elgin bike I saw on eBay last week or so, sans (without) heavy tank & truss set-up.
Elgin 5.jpg
Back in the black & white photography days, folks didn't know much about focus, or taking pictures from the right (chain ring) side of bicycles, but in the case of Murray Ohio, the profile is fairly easily recognized.

Back