When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID On This Bike? It’s a Weird One!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Danimal

Finally riding a big boys bike
First off, no, I don’t have this nor have I seen one in person. But for as long as I’ve been into vintage bikes, my dad has been asking me if I’ve ever seen or heard of a two person, side by side bicycle. I hadn’t and could never find any evidence of what he described.

But last weekend at a flea market I stumbled on this photo. The seller actually had the original negative which I bought.

Here we see a two wheel, side by side bike. Has anybody seen such a thing? Is it original or a custom thing from back in the day? I would love to know and you guys will have the info if anybody does.

Thanks.
Dan

Attachments

• 8654E8E6-1EA0-4198-B1FF-2EAD660536DE.jpeg
    8654E8E6-1EA0-4198-B1FF-2EAD660536DE.jpeg
    515.2 KB · Views: 206
I looks like a circa 1896-1900 Punnett Companion made by Punnett Cycle Manufacturing Company of Rochester NY.

I have heard tales of these things ; they used to advertise a group of friends having get togethers & then 2 by 2 they would pair up ( Good Ol'Dr Seus:(tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::smilingimp: they would ride away gang style and all be happier looking than kites in a wind storm. There is a thing that looks like a merry go round with wheels and pedals that was a "socialable" contraption .... I Swear I am Crazy but I know what I am talking about :smirk:

-----

In 1976-77 American inventor Robert C. Barrett of Berkeley California and Angola New York designed and patented a side-by-side with fourteen distinct improvements over previous designs.

features of the Barrett design include a cantilevered chainset which operates on a single bottom bracket assembly. seating for the two riders can be staggered slightly so that they can ride a bit closer together, somewhat reducing the width of the vehicle. steering is accomplished via a chain drive.

everything bolts/clamps to a standard road single frameset without modification. early production examples employed a frameset from Takara.

Mr. Barrett produced by hand fourteen different one-off examples of his design as he refined it. these included collapsibles, planetary drive examples, derailleur drive examples, cantilever frame examples, etc.

had the opportunity to ride one of these prototypes about 1977. a fun experience. does not matter if riders of different weights; the vehicle just goes down the road with a slight list.

the left seat is for the "captain" with steering, gear and brake controls. the right seat rider is analogous to a stoker on a standard tandem.

the yellow machine in post nr. five above is of the Barrett design.

Images for barrett side-by-side bicycle

Sociable - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Sociable

one which came up at Copake in 2012:

-----

Last edited:
Back