When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I.D. On this schwinn bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I personally would not use the stick on vinyl stickers. Water slide decals are sold by that same seller.
Ok. I asked for an exchange, and the seller agreed. Why water slide decal though? He told me it’s a bit difficult

Ok. I asked for an exchange, and the seller agreed. Why water slide decal though? He told me it’s a bit difficult

Water slide decals are what was used originally on the seat post and top tube. The guard and fork darts were screened (painted). Vinyl will start to shrink and peel off in a short time. Water slides are not difficult but you need to know how to install them. Do a search here or google for instructions.

I've been buying stencils for darts, etc. and painting them on. If you were to disassemble the bike down to the bare frame, and you get the paint cleaned up as good as you can, then you can go over the entire bike with some gloss clear coat to put a shine on it. If you choose to do that'll, you can paint over darts that you've painted on. But I wouldn't paint clear over water slide decals. Put water slides on top of the clear. Most water slides come with instructions.

I've been buying stencils for darts, etc. and painting them on. If you were to disassemble the bike down to the bare frame, and you get the paint cleaned up as good as you can, then you can go over the entire bike with some gloss clear coat to put a shine on it. If you choose to do that'll, you can paint over darts that you've painted on. But I wouldn't paint clear over water slide decals. Put water slides on top of the clear. Most water slides come with instructions.
Thanks. I really don’t want to mess with the paint. Haha, I just don’t want to ruin it or anything. Doubt the clear paint will do anything, but I just can’t do it. I’ll clean it up as good as I can before applying the decals. Hopefully I get it right in one shot.

Have you tried a wax and grease remover? It sounds like you're loosening up old wax. If that doesn't help, try using a clay bar on the paint.

Here is a good way forward on cleaning paint. I deep clean a lot of old Schwinns.

First, clean the paint really good to remove any grit and grime . Use an orange cleaner, 409, etc. Do not use this on the chainguard or other silk screened images!

If there is a lot of rust under the paint you may need to do an OA bath next - search for it on here. If not...

Use a fine buffing compound on a dampened rag to remove the top layer of dead paint. This is where you can perform magic. Twist the rag around your fingertip and using hard pressure, deep clean all of the paint. It is tedious and painful at times. Do not do this on decals as it will deface them. After the rubbing compound has been buffed off by hand, use something like Turtle Wax to polish the paint. Buff it by hand.

Decals can be cleaned and brightened and not damaged if you are careful - use mild detergent and a clean toothbrush with very light pressure. You cannot clean silk screened images with anything wet or you will ruin them - just clean around them.

Waterslide decals from Bicycle Bones on eBay (and he is a member here) are all I use. No different than the waterslides that went on model planes and cares - just a lot more expensive.

Thanks guys. I just got the decals in, and I tried my best to match the outline from the original that were still imprinted on the bike. The originals looked crooked. Not sure if they were decals before because I’m the second owner of the bike. Someone threw this bike away back in 2003 and my dad took it. Lol... anyway, I wasn’t sure how high or low the decal should be but to me I think it looks real low.. maybe I should’ve asked measurements from someone. By the way, I recommend bicyclebones on eBay. He helped me out all the way. Really for the community and not for the money. Thanks again guys and let me know what I did wrong on this
image.jpg

Yep, the original top tube markings were water slide decals. Following the original decal outlines is the best thing to do IMO. Looks like you did a great job with your first time experience.

Measure twice - order once - return and report if you get jerked around. Sometimes you have to decide if ghost marks showing are ok/not ok as it is the best you can do at the time.

Back