I drove by the old Torrington Company factory today...

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Sep 30, 2017
New London, CT, United States
Made me sad to think how great this place used to be. Some of the beautiful products that came out of this building were art. Anyone have pics of the wonderful stems or pedals or...?

11/25/2019:

bike

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 26, 2007
Bicycleland
I believe I was in there about 25 years ago- or corp headquarters, and they had a display of NOS bike parts. They referred me to Westfield Mfg. where there was a museum at the time and Jack, @MrColumbia 's father, gave me a tour. Those were the days!

Last edited:

BLWNMNY

I live for the CABE
May 10, 2013
Stockton, Ca.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing these pictures, history has always fascinated me., to think of all the hardware that was made there, and is still on the road today.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Barto

I live for the CABE
Mar 13, 2015
Somers, United States
Thanks Jim, I live in CT and am very aware of our local (CT & MA) history when it comes to bikes. Time moves on and people like us keep things alive through our memories and collections.

BART

SirMike1983

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 27, 2008
United States
Ghosts... in Torrington, more likely hobos hanging out inside the building. My brother worked there back in the late 1980s, but it wasn't on bike parts. Torrington's economy slid downhill during the course of the 90s and 2000s. It still has some industry, but kind of a shell of its former self. Back in the 1930s, as a child, my grandfather used to get paid a few cents each day to run out and pick up lunch for some of the guys who worked there. He also used to take scrap that would come out of the plant and take it down to the local scrap yard for a few cents per run. The 1930s were a tough time, even with the factory in place in Torrington. But I doubt it had the industrial "rust belt" feel that the city has gradually taken on now.

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
I can remember making a special "detour" with another bike buddy some 20 years ago to see the old plant. We actually wanted
to try and sneak on to the property and look around....it was all fenced off literally with guards around the place...
Would love to see what's in the old buildings.. even the furnishings... man o man!

Last edited:

dweenk

Finally riding a big boys bike
Nov 13, 2014
Maryland
It is sad to see a company like Torrington decline.

I have watched my very small hometown waste away over the years. The only commercial things left are a post office and a convenience store.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!