When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Finally Brought The Rusty Elgin Back To Life.

-

incajoe

Look Ma, No Hands!
I bought this Elgin last year at a tag sale for $40 and it's been sitting outside on my porch all winter. After bringing it to Copake yesterday where it found no love, I decided to do the most econo refurbish ever to bring it back to being a rider. I picked up the handlebars for $5, and the seat for $1. The tires and tubes were a donation from my buddy. I found a chain guard for $5 which I still have to mount. Today I spent a couple hours oiling, cleaning and coaxing it back to life and the result I am finding, is total worthwhile. My guess is this bike hadn't been ridden in at least 40 years since the tires were literally rotting away. The pedals disintegrated within 1 minute of riding so I stole a pair off an old Rollfast that was sitting behind my shed. So for the whopping sum of $56 I now have something that I will thoroughly enjoy riding on the bike paths.
IMG_5252.jpg
IMG_4953.JPG
IMG_5298.jpg
IMG_5300.jpg
IMG_5301.jpg

Very Nice!!!!

I bought this Elgin last year at a tag sale for $40 and it's been sitting outside on my porch all winter. After bringing it to Copake yesterday where it found no love, I decided to do the most econo refurbish ever to bring it back to being a rider. I picked up the handlebars for $5, and the seat for $1. The tires and tubes were a donation from my buddy. I found a chain guard for $5 which I still have to mount. Today I spent a couple hours oiling, cleaning and coaxing it back to life and the result I am finding, is total worthwhile. My guess is this bike hadn't been ridden in at least 40 years since the tires were literally rotting away. The pedals disintegrated within 1 minute of riding so I stole a pair off an old Rollfast that was sitting behind my shed. So for the whopping sum of $56 I now have something that I will thoroughly enjoy riding on the bike paths.View attachment 305964View attachment 305965View attachment 305966View attachment 305967View attachment 305968

I bought this Elgin last year at a tag sale for $40 and it's been sitting outside on my porch all winter. After bringing it to Copake yesterday where it found no love, I decided to do the most econo refurbish ever to bring it back to being a rider. I picked up the handlebars for $5, and the seat for $1. The tires and tubes were a donation from my buddy. I found a chain guard for $5 which I still have to mount. Today I spent a couple hours oiling, cleaning and coaxing it back to life and the result I am finding, is total worthwhile. My guess is this bike hadn't been ridden in at least 40 years since the tires were literally rotting away. The pedals disintegrated within 1 minute of riding so I stole a pair off an old Rollfast that was sitting behind my shed. So for the whopping sum of $56 I now have something that I will thoroughly enjoy riding on the bike paths.View attachment 305964View attachment 305965View attachment 305966View attachment 305967View attachment 305968
That's my kind of bike....and budget! Nice job!

Back