When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a New Departure Model A hub, can I change it for a Model D non-skip tooth sprocket and how many teeth?

-

TOCKubin

Look Ma, No Hands!
I think from what I have researched here that I can simply replace an all original ND Model A skip tooth sprocket with one from a ND Model D. Am I correct? I have a early 20s Mead Ranger with 52 tooth front sprocket. Assuming I can, how do I decide how many teeth/diameter of rear sprocket is correct?

sure you can-as long as its a screw-on type. the driver on the model 'a' and 'd' are different-but the threaded area for the sprocket the same. the size as far as correctness goes is up to the rider. your comfort level is the main factor. a 16 or 18 will be harder to pedal when you start out. a 20 or 22 will be a little easier on your knees on take off and help somewhat on low climbs. the bigger the rear sprocket might involve adding an extra link or two to the chain! there is a guy on ebay that sells/sometime has vintage/period correct sprockets for the model a hubs-benzo_one(i think that is how he spells it!). good luck!

Last edited:
sure you can-as long as its a screw-on type. the driver on the model 'a' and 'd' are different-but the threaded area for the sprocket the same. the size as far as correctness goes is up to the rider. your comfort level is the main factor. a 16 or 18 will be harder to pedal when you start out. a 20 or 22 will be a little easier on your knees on take off and help somewhat on low climbs. the bigger the rear sprocket might involve adding an extra link or two to the chain! there is a guy on ebay that sells/sometime has vintage/period correct sprockets for the model a hubs-benzo_one(i think that is how he spells it!). good luck!
Thanks, I have sent them an email already.

Back