When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have decided that this is a Streamliner. Care to comment?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
So. If the frame number indicates 1951 and I think it is. I suspect this is a first year Streamliner with the wrong fenders and guard. I will loose the wheels for more correct rubber, hubs and rims. I have a Phantom fender and light that should be painted and a rear fender in black and cream all set to go. I like the fork and think it looks great with the large front fender and light. I have one of the better tank reproductions that will allow me to save the red/black original paint tank that came on it. I have a black springer but I do not want to restore this as a Phantom as I have a nice 55 in the rack already. One of the catalog pics I found show the old style rack in the pic, so I will keep that on her. I hate painting, but this may be worth it.

Am I incorrect in any assumptions?

1577552088356.png

Last edited:
:D I don't see how any of it matters. I mean y'a no, it's a franky bike anyway. Nothing's original so, regardless of what it is now or ya want it to be, it falls into the category of: 'It's your bike so, do whatever tickles your fancy!' Well except, painting on chrome, if ya don't grind it off, that'll chip way to easy. And as far as the year, 51?, the frame is no different than any other model. Moreover it's all about the name on chain guard. A Franky today yet with a new decal, is a Streamliner tomorrow. :D

Last edited:
I was hoping to figure out what it had been. I did not want to make up a model if I could help it. If it screams Frankenstein when I am done... I won't keep it. The clues I used were frame and serial #., rack, bars, fork, crank, stem and fasteners. I thought they seemed to fit one of the offerings in the catalog for that year.

There's no way to tell what it started out as, as this point. It's a repainted post war frame with a mix of pre and post war parts. Since Schwinn used the same frames for several models, it could have been almost any of them. If it had original paint, that would point you in the right direction as far as the model.
It's really up to you, if you want to sink time, money and parts into it, to make it correct for a particular model. Before you decide this, you need to decide if you're going to keep or sell when it's done. If you want to build a correct bike to keep, and money isn't a concern, then go for it. If you plan on selling it afterwards, you'll likely lose money on it after building a correct whatever model.

If it were mine, being that it's a frankenbike, I wouldn't think twice about blowing it apart and spending the money on a different project that's more complete/original to begin with.

It appears that has been rebuilt from the ground up with a lot of nice parts and there is no way now to tell what that originally started out as. I'm pretty sure the forks with the truss rod bracing were last used on the early post war bikes and were phased out before the 1950 models.

BTW, personally, I wouldn't give a hoot as to original at this point. Whoever built it up made it look pretty cool. And so, sticking a streamliner decal with matched colors paint on chain guard, I'd be plenty glad to show it off on da boardwalk as, it's a real eye catcher now.

I see some nice stuff in your shop!! Looks like a 50's Caddy bumper, some cool motorcycles, perhaps an Austin Healey? It's not what you asked, but I can't help but notice. How rude of me!! I think comment #6Jay81 nailed it, but the others have contributed nicely too.

My 2 cents I posted somewhere on the Cabe in so many words before, I'll never know where, so again/one man's opinion:

In reality unless a bike is bone stock original, a TRUE barn find, or cellar, warehouse, yard sale etc., it is a Frankenbike in my humble opinion. Unless the bike can be documented from factory, original owners etc., anything can occur. I mean many bikes in many collections have been restored ( in part or whole), parts upgraded, accessories added all to a degree or goal of originality ( in most cases) or a Custom or look to meet the owners taste. Lots of collectors in the hobby own original examples. Sometimes ( more than often) the word "original" is misleading and bantered around without thought or conscience.

Lets face it, people like to personalize things. Bikes are no different. Remember what kids did when you were younger? Took stuff off, put stuff on. As mentioned, this bike is an assortment of parts and someone's Custom. I think to try to steer ( no pun intended) it towards any year or model would just be throwing money away UNLESS it's what makes you happy. To ever recoup the money from selling as a particular year and model is VERY unlikely. Look at guys cars resto's. Knee deep $$ in a car they'll never see if they sell. I have one, but I love the car!! I have some bikes like that too. Do I care? Not really because I do it for fun and enjoyment, not investment.

To quote Jay81 again/see bold below. I think for your satisfaction and enjoyment ( with value given some consideration) there are better examples out there with more ( or all) original parts and year correct..."different project that's more complete/original to begin with."

Cheers, and enjoy the hobby. Looks like you have an assortment of interests. I'm part of that group as well!! Ha!!

Back