When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just got this -

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yes, I'm looking for a different 3-speed hub. I'm fairly mechanical but this may be more than I want to tackle. With the amount of dried mud on the rest of the bike I'm sure a certain amount of that gunk found it's way into the rear hub. It will definitely be a labor of love!
Don’t just pitch your old 3 speed. I’d be interested in trying to rebuild it for myself, and if it doesn’t work then I know I can’t do it😂

I agree with Andrew Gorman, I've had dozens of these apart. If you're not sure what you are doing, find another rear wheel with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub in it, and practice with that one. I would suggest leaving the hub laced to the rim as it makes it easier to remove the drive side race from the hub. I'm sure there are plenty of diagrams and tutorials available here and on other sites, such as the Sheldon Brown site. These hubs were made to last and usually come back with a good overhaul.

I agree with Andrew Gorman, I've had dozens of these apart. If you're not sure what you are doing, find another rear wheel with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub in it, and practice with that one. I would suggest leaving the hub laced to the rim as it makes it easier to remove the drive side race from the hub. I'm sure there are plenty of diagrams and tutorials available here and on other sites, such as the Sheldon Brown site. These hubs were made to last and usually come back with a good overhaul.
I’ll check out the diagrams, thanks! I usually read the directions after I’m done working on a project but in this case I should probably have some idea as to what I’m doing.

I think you'll be surprised at how well the bike cleans up. Looks like the mud preserved it better than some of the dried specimens that I've had. As long as the hub wasn't ridden with grit in it, I think it will clean out and roll fine again. I've had a few rusted ones apart and back riding even. Pitted races would be a reason to put the hub out of it's misery though. Just be careful with the springs and make sure you put the pawls back in facing the right direction. A little mechanical aptitude and a couple YouTube videos should set you on the right path. If not, take pictures and ask questions here.

Friendly heads up, the seat, pedals, and front rim are not original to the bike. The front rim will not work very well with caliper brakes.

I think you'll be surprised at how well the bike cleans up. Looks like the mud preserved it better than some of the dried specimens that I've had. As long as the hub wasn't ridden with grit in it, I think it will clean out and roll fine again. I've had a few rusted ones apart and back riding even. Pitted races would be a reason to put the hub out of it's misery though. Just be careful with the springs and make sure you put the pawls back in facing the right direction. A little mechanical aptitude and a couple YouTube videos should set you on the right path. If not, take pictures and ask questions here.

Friendly heads up, the seat, pedals, and front rim are not original to the bike. The front rim will not work very well with caliper brakes.
Yes, I have a new front wheel coming and I have a home for the one that’s on there now. The seat will stay for now, and pedals maybe changed out later. The basket will have to go, just not my style. I’ll get a rat trap for the front.

Yes, I have a new front wheel coming and I have a home for the one that’s on there now. The seat will stay for now, and pedals maybe changed out later. The basket will have to go, just not my style. I’ll get a rat trap for the front.
Speaking of the pedals, what is correct for a ‘54-‘55 Corvette?

Back