When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I landed the exact bike I was lookng for, what can you tell me about it??

-
Yeah I saw that, cheers! It doesn't really help though. It suggests that the serial number I have should be stamped on the rear dropout, which it clearly isn't 🤷‍♂️

Not sure why you say it suggests the number should be on the drop out? That placement occurred on the 1952 models, and prior to that every Schwinn made had the numbers under the crank.

The first post in that thread has three links, the first "1948-1951" is all the known serials under the bottom bracket. As @GTs58 says, the records on numbers before 1948 were lost in a fire, but it's thought that they started with "A" after the war and the "B" serials were probably in 1946. The links don't actually say where the serials are located until you click on them, which is probably what's throwing you. The second link "1952-1969" is for the serials on the left drop-out and "1970-1982" is for serials below the badge on the headstock. Any Schwinn with the serial under the bottom bracket was made before 1952, but the features on yours are post-war, so with your serial 1946 is the best guess with what we know at this point.

The first post in that thread has three links, the first "1948-1951" is all the known serials under the bottom bracket. As @GTs58 says, the records on numbers before 1948 were lost in a fire, but it's thought that they started with "A" after the war and the "B" serials were probably in 1946. The links don't actually say where the serials are located until you click on them, which is probably what's throwing you. The second link "1952-1969" is for the serials on the left drop-out and "1970-1982" is for serials below the badge on the headstock. Any Schwinn with the serial under the bottom bracket was made before 1952, but the features on yours are post-war, so with your serial 1946 is the best guess with what we know at this point.
Cheers Oilit, that makes a lot of sense. As much as I'd love to have a definitive year of manufacture, I will be ok with "best guess" of 1946. It's mostly put of knowing that I'm going to get a lot of questions back in Melbourne about this thing- I don't think there are too many over at home. They were definitely never released in Australia.

Have you checked the crank for a casting date? There is a small chance it has a date and hopefully it's original to the frame. Prewar style dog leg crank and these have shown up on the 1945 models and some 1946 pieces.

Have you checked the crank for a casting date? There is a small chance it has a date and hopefully it's original to the frame. Prewar style dog leg crank and these have shown up on the 1945 models and some 1946 pieces.
Good call, I haven't taken it out yet, was waiting till I got it back home. It's a horror story though- the left crank arm has been welded back on in a really not professional way 🤣 🤬😭

PXL_20220712_145731130.jpg

Good call, I haven't taken it out yet, was waiting till I got it back home. It's a horror story though- the left crank arm has been welded back on in a really not professional way 🤣 🤬😭

View attachment 1664420

Ooopsie! I'd pull it out and check it. Then take a few photos of it and toss it in the waste basket saving you some carry weight getting the bike back home. 😂

Save all the other parts though!

Good luck getting that nut, washer, and race off the arm, then if you do, getting the crank out of the bracket.
That's my worry too, and why I'm going to leave it well alone until I can get back home to my workshop. The end plan is to install a USA to UK BB converter and install a modern Crank, although I really do love the skiptooth. Maybe on the next trip over ill grab what I need to reinstall a functional skiptooth drivetrain for my circumstances.

Back