When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I like 3 speed bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

thom

Look Ma, No Hands!
My "collection" of bikes includes all kinds. I have decided , however,to concentrate on 3 speed bikes . I enjoy riding and tinkering with them . I will still buy other bikes if I find some like I have in the past couple of weeks , like the $300-400 Mountain bikes I bought for $10 each, but am going to seek out more 3 speeds.I plan to dissassemble a 3 speed hub and put it back together , just so I know how. Anybody else into them? If so, what do you especially look for in a 3 speed bike, not that I'll pass up any of them if the price is right.Thanks:D

I like 3 speed coasters. All my bikes except the Suburban and the Collegiate are 3-speeds, original or retrofitted with them. They are plentiful, cheap, and easy to adjust. Shimanos are the easiest. Sturmeys take more fiddling. Plus the internal gearing keeps the look of a stock rear hub. My newest obsession is twist grips. I have to figure out how to change the colors of the grips though; they all seem to be off white.

Shimano, Nexus and Sturmey Archer The 3 speed power trio

cannondaleschwinnandboys096-1.jpg

here is my Sturmy (still needs a front rack)

newHappyHour035-1.jpg

This guy has a Nexus

And I have an 80's 27" World Tourist w/ a Shimano 3 Speed can't find a pic right now.

This is my Sturmey Archer 3 speed, an early 70's Eatons RoadKing Villager. The thing I really hate about these hubs is the finnicky gears. Everytime you need to patch a tire or remove the rear wheel you have to adjust the shifter screw all over again.

Attachments

• 124_2472.jpg
    124_2472.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 114
and some look like this, Dana 3 speed transmission
IMG_4030.gif

Last edited:
Isn't that technically a 9 speed (3 front x 3 rear)? On that Dana, is that a push/pull arrangement? I see two cables on the twist grip.

Yes it is a push pull type, it is not with the 3 speed wheel anymore, so the Dana is still only a 3 speed

Back