When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I like 3 speed bikes

-
Raleigh DL-1
RaleighDL1-1.jpg

RaleighDL1b-1.jpg

brooks-1.jpg

I'm mainly into middleweights and balloon tire bikes, but recently I picked up a '75 Columbia Sport and a '79 Schwinn Collegiate (both 3 speeds) at an estate sale. Their condition and price was too good to pass up, so I bought them to flip. I'm in the middle of restoring both (currently waiting on a brown box w/tires, etc..., no picks loaded yet).
Should have them both done by the end of the week.

this is one of my 3 speeds.Its a 1938 Schwinn New World.Heres another:Raleigh with rod brakes
schwinn1938.gif

raleighresto.gif

Last edited:
Sam, tell us more about that 3 speed. Is it a 5 speed with 2 removed? More info please. Thanks.:cool:

Last edited:
Finally got some pics

Here's my Columbia Sport 3 speed
DSC06700-1.jpg

and my Schwinn Collegiate
DSC06699-1.gif

Both are Sturmey Archers and both still need shifter adjustments

This is my Sturmey Archer 3 speed, an early 70's Eatons RoadKing Villager. The thing I really hate about these hubs is the finnicky gears. Everytime you need to patch a tire or remove the rear wheel you have to adjust the shifter screw all over again.

You can leave the little lock nut in the right place and it will tell you how far to screw in the barrel adjuster.

Back