When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I like this safety idea!

-
Nice idea, but sadly we remain invisible to some drivers regardless.
I have a flashing rear light that incorporates lasers, projecting my own personal cycle lane behind me; do people notice it? yes, do they ignore it anyway? Also yes.
Sidewalk's are not an option over here unless they are also designated cycle paths, police regularly fine cyclists for using them over here!

Nice idea, but sadly we remain invisible to some drivers regardless.
I have a flashing rear light that incorporates lasers, projecting my own personal cycle lane behind me; do people notice it? yes, do they ignore it anyway? Also yes.
Sidewalk's are not an option over here unless they are also designated cycle paths, police regularly fine cyclists for using them over here!
Most drivers here seem to be uninformed about the local regulations concerning bicycles. Sidewalks are off limits to cyclists. Cyclists have the choice to ride with traffic in the regular lane or use bike lanes. If a driver approaches from the rear, they must pass the cyclist with a legal pass like any other vehicle operating in the roadway. Using the “shoulder” of the road is also not recommended due to hazards from debris. Yet, I am constantly getting shouted at to “get off the road!” or “ get on the sidewalk!” And have been threatened with an “a$$- kicking on several occasions. I find that occupying “most” of the lane is often better than riding on the outside. This makes drivers have to execute a real pass rather than trying to squeeze by. In a perfect world - there would be bike lanes everywhere but for now it’s a risky venture with the cyclist having the most to lose should something happen.

I typically don't ride in congested conditions, but if you ride at all on streets these days a safety vest is an excellent investment. Does most of what the pool noodle does without pissing drivers off. I don't go out without mine anymore.

Back