When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help identifying this bicycle

-

Son of Paul

On Training Wheels
Hi guys I've been a fan of this site for years spending time looking at some of the older bikes. I've always wanted one not sure if that day would come. In the last hour of the bicycle show in Monroe county Michigan I stumbled onto this bicycle and for a modest sum I was able to drag it home. I'd like to hunt down the missing pieces or maybe restore it. Do any of you know who made this? The head badge screw holes are offsite 1" It does have a Goodyear war time front tire and United Stated No 76 on the rear. Should I sand the paint off the bottom bracket and see if there are numbers? Thank you!

old timer.jpg

IMG20220504124421.jpg

IMG20220504124541.jpg

IMG20220504124513.jpg

Well it looks like a Fauber chainring which would have been used on Great Western built bicycles in Laporte, IN if I'm not mistaken. I would use some paint remover to uncover the serial number just in case there's original paint underneath the over paint. Could also be a Columbia. Someone else will chime in soon, definitely a cool project man.

Sean

A tough one to determine covered in thick paint. Serial number on the bottom of the BB would be a start. Maybe use some goof off & steel wool to uncover it and any remaining base paint color. Your bike has many different parts and could be pieced together. Excelsior frame & Meiselbach fork? Badge holes look JW Grady. Carefully begin to remove all the paint to determine if any parts are original to what you have acquired. Have fun!

The 4-clover chain ring front sprocket looks like an A&S “Admiral” or similar. The tires might not tell much about the bike; but some of the frame details might be more helpful.
Might have sported an EC Simmons hardware store “Laclede” head badge?
The preliminary, enhanced, and additional pictures of the apparently oval-shaped chain stays at the bottom bracket crank hanger have sometimes been attributed to earlier Emblem Angola NY.

Last edited:
The position of the screws seems to line up with the EC Simmons hardware store “Laclede” head badge. I cleaned the bottom bracket and no luck on numbers. I shot some close ups of the frame and the fork has something like "ATAPLDFOR" stamped on it. I know it has a crap weld behind the bottom bracket. I can clean this up later. Thank you all for your help!

Screenshot 2022-05-06 110409.jpg

IMG20220506110009.jpg

IMG20220506105951.jpg

IMG20220506105944.jpg

IMG20220506105958.jpg

IMG20220506110038.jpg

The Meisel-fork on there could be around July 1922 when the patent for this lightweight box crown fork was filed.
Meiselbach I am sure sold his forks to others besides Shelby and made some earlier versions pre patent.

Last edited:
What a great project! If there is no BB serial is there anything hiding under all the paint on the seat tube? Test some of the areas and remove the spray paint to see what remains of the original, there might be a fair amount left and with any luck the serial number will appear. Keep us posted, love these mystery bikes and a double bar!

Back