When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help Schwinn experts. 1939/40 Schwinn front hub.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

highwheelerboy25

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’m helping a friend rehab and preserve a 1939/40 Schwinn Autocycle for occasional riding. In its current state it does not have a forebrake but does have a locking fork. I saw in the 1939 catalog that forebrakes were added for additional money. Is it possible this one never had the forebrake? The current front hub is a 28 hole New Departure with a drop center. We’re these originally equipped with 28 hole front wheels if they weren’t optioned with the drum brake? The rear hub is stamped 1936 and is a Morrow but someone has laced a layer Schwinn rim onto.

The front wheel/hub in question.

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

On the Morrow hub 36 is not the date. There is another code for dating. G4 for example. The letter indicates the year and the number 1-4 is for which quarter it was produced. G is 37, H for 38 etc.

Front drum brake was an option and standard spoke count was 36.

A complete Fore-Brake setup is gonna cost in today’s world. If it’s a ‘39 you’d be hunting a big brake and shorty lever. If a ‘40 a Pat’d Pending and either a Dural style or no script thin lever. The cheapest of these options is about $600 or better.

On the Morrow hub 36 is not the date. There is another code for dating. G4 for example. The letter indicates the year and the number 1-4 is for which quarter it was produced. G is 37, H for 38 etc.

Front drum brake was an option and standard spoke count was 36.
So in this case the other letters/numbers are i3 so third quarter of 39.

Back