When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Need Help to Identify Hawthorne Cruiser

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

blainewest

On Training Wheels
Greetings from Canada everyone,
Though I am a bicycle enthusiast I am completely new to the world of classic collectible bikes. Yesterday I picked up this old Hawthorne. The vendor knew nothing of it's history. I will post some pictures and I hope that some of you experts can help me in identifying it's model, year of manufacture etc.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. When I brought it home I showed it to my family. My 16 year old son, who to this point had expressed almost non existant interest in biking, immediately called dibs on this beauty and wants to use it to ride to the lake for his beach Volleyball games.... to be a teenager again. The fact that this bike is likely old enough that his grandfather might have ridden it to the beach only seemed to pique his interest further. Yesterday was a good day.

D7E834AC-C433-4B6F-B41A-1E1898B6B272.jpeg

F35C9C9D-A0EB-4A8A-80DA-AC62220206B5.jpeg

7C097EFF-16E5-4D53-969C-B26823E95FBE.jpeg

The letter “C” followed by six digits is a typical (1947) serial number for bicycles built by Snyder; “C” is the 3rd letter and 1947 was the 3rd post war year. The other stamping (74EH) is more of a date and place code, likely built at the former Excelsior Michigan City Indiana plant (EH) which was closer to M. Ward Chicago. The number 8,855 means only that — (8,854 + 1); might be the 8,855th bike produced that year, (if they started from 1?).

Last edited:
Back