When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help to understand what the big deal with "Racycle Bicycles" is all about

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Robertriley

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have been seeing a lot of hype around Racycle bicycles. Please forgive me for asking...but whats the driving factor? I do love the HUGE chainring and I think that is pretty cool but most of them don't have the huge one. What did these sell for at the TOC? Were these a product of a bigger brand, like a cars or motorcycles manufacture. I'm a ballooner guy but love all this two wheel rides and I'm just trying to figure it out.

Thank you ahead of time for the knowledge,
Chris

Don't believe the hype.
Originally, the "big deal" was that they incorporated a large chainwheel as well as a large wheel cog, which at the time was novel/state of the art thinking. This gearing, as such was much easier on the legs/back then simply adding a large front chain wheel (still had to crank over that tiny7-8-9 tooth (14-16-18 1/2"p.) cog. Course, the name is Kool. Yes these were raced, but so were many others. My 2c.

There are a few of us who own them and info has been scarce...so when we find some we try and share it. Also, as they share the Miami pedigree ( flying merkel etc... ) collectors like to focus on that aspect I guess. They seem to have been made well too! BUT - Bri is correct in that there are so many TOC makes and fantastic bikes.... It is so hard to choose. Still attempting to get mine on the road - I also see there are still quite a few Racycles on the Bay at the moment that have not been selling. Not sure what bicycle cabe members would think of as the pinnacle for their collections?????

I have been seeing a lot of hype around Racycle bicycles. Please forgive me for asking...but whats the driving factor? I do love the HUGE chainring and I think that is pretty cool but most of them don't have the huge one. What did these sell for at the TOC? Were these a product of a bigger brand, like a cars or motorcycles manufacture. I'm a ballooner guy but love all this two wheel rides and I'm just trying to figure it out.

Thank you ahead of time for the knowledge,
Chris

Unless its a Pacemaker (really big chain ring) they don't hold anything for me. Kinda like the Harley/Indian/Merkel thing. Most of these bikes aren't really anything special except for the motorcycle affiliation. I still want a Harley though! V/r Shawn

I was wondering about them, too. They do look really cool and I suspect they were well-made, but it's tough to tell from pictures. I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship and technical details of my Iver Johnson, which I had heard before was a well-built bike, but owning one, you see just how nice it is. Some things survive the ages out of luck, some out of appreciation for their quality. Besides the general ravages of time, to make it through two world wars, the Great Depression, scrap drives, and the highly effective post war marketing brain washing of planned obsolescence in appreciable numbers says to me that either they made millions of them or they were quality.

Too each their own. I buy what I like. I'm sure everyone does. I like Racycles. I've owned a few. Don't have any now. But that could change.

Last edited:
The TOC bikes are my favorites. The first time I saw a Racycle Pacemaker I was intrigued by the big chainwheel, and I think the curvy bars are pretty sexy, too. I agree that everyone has their individual favorites - for me I just like the way they look. Mine will be better when it has matching tires and no twine on the back wheel!
030.jpg

Back