When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help to understand what the big deal with "Racycle Bicycles" is all about

-
I've been intrigued by them for years and was lucky enough to score one locally a couple of years ago. Someday it'll get it back on the road, but for now it hangs in a local brewery where it's admired while sipping on fresh beer. Cheers!

PXL_20230127_055546724.jpg

PXL_20230127_055408019.jpg

PXL_20230127_055246113.jpg

Hi Carlton Hendricks here in Napa Valley...sort of new here...This is the most fantastic thread on Raycycle...really learned a lot...I collect antique sports display pieces most any sport from billiards to mountaineering...over the last five or so years I've gotten big on bicycles....motorcycle...and powerboating....in sports antiques you're always learning...this thread and the whole cab site is so great...

Below I copy and paste a post I did on another site in September 2020....of a Racycle motorcycle photo...
-carlton
www.SportsAntiques.com
www.Carltonator.com

orbR8u.jpg

c1905 Racycle Motorcycle Photo
6 1/2" x 4 1/4" inside window
9 1/4" w X 6 7/8" framed

Yesterday the Sacramento Antiques fair re-opened since the covid lockdown started…I think everyone was expecting an avalanche of great stuff…but no…the amount of dealers was a little sparse…and the quality wasn’t anything great…I didn’t find a thing…but at least it was something…we’ll worry about getting better later…just glad things are opening….So it wasn’t great…HOWEVER…Later I went to an antiques mall and found this photo of a c1905 Raycycle motorcycle…so I measured, photographed, and thanked the kid for getting it out of the case…and continued around the store…I enlarged the photos I took on my phone trying to see what make it was…you could barely make out the name but it looked like it said something cycle on the gas tank…I could kind of make out the word cycle in the last part of the name….but had to keep enlarging and guessing…I tried a few guesses on google. Finally the name Racycle came up and it matched…then it was just a matter of time before I found a photo of a Racycle and it all took shape…and I started understanding the photo and what I had…this is the third motorcycle photo I’ve gotten from the same seller…he’s one of those no-tech guys that doesn’t look stuff up… I generally like big photos at least 12” wide…so this is probably the smallest photo I’ve ever bought…but when you get back to the 1905 era that’s really early for motorcycles…and I don’t think there are lot of original ones around…admittedly I’m still learning about early motorcycles...and photos too for that matter…Some would not be happy about the worn frame…but that’s exactly what makes me happy…Finding a photo in the original frame like this with the original old wavy glass...makes it a lot more exciting than out of the frame…or in a new frame…you know from looking at the back it’s the real deal…

One of these Racycle motorcycles sold in Mecum five years ago in 2015 for $38,000...which was a giveaway compared to the c1912 Flying Merkel that sold the same year in Mecum for $423,500.00. Racycle and Flying Merkel were both made by The Miami Cycle Company of Middletown OH...Racycle started as a bicycle manufacturer...and like many bicycle makers they started adding motors...I believe Miami Cycle Company was later acquired by the Westfield Mfg. Co…It’s intriguing to me the orange paint on the Racycle that sold for $38,000.00, seen below…looks identical to the afore mentioned Flying Merkel that sold the same year…you can see photos of it in a feature I did on a Flying Merkel trophy…click here

qoueI2.jpg

www.

It's been quite awhile since I've been on here. I haven't been behind my computer for a very long time and have been busy with my antique store and have been doing work on the building. This is a great site and I do miss it. Everyone eager to share their hobby and information to fellow collectors! That's what it's all about Folks!!

I have a boy and girl Racycle from the TOC. The boy is original red displayed on a stand of the same time (look closely
I have a boy and girl Racycle from the TOC. The boy is original red displayed on a stand of the same time (look closely to the photo).

View attachment 1781979

View attachment 1781980

View attachment 1781981

View attachment 1781982

Is this the one out of Salina Kansas? ( several years ago?)

Back