When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need some help with bike and what is this part for?

-

PhattCatBicycles

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Okay, I dont work on bikes with more then one speed for this very reason. I'm just about finished with my father-in-law's bike I building for him but now I'm stuck. As most of you know we cant test drive our bikes when we get then because a lot of times the bike dont have tires, or the chain is rusted over or whatever. This is the 1955 Columbia Fire-Arrow (the pain in the ass bike) I've been working on. I took the bike apart a while ago and dont remember how it goes back together with this part. Can anyone help me out?

What is this part? What does it do or what is it for? I looking to fit onto the chaingaurd but doesn't seen to fit onto anything else once on the chaingaurd. It has a port for oil (I think) maybe it's for the shifting cable?

Attachments

• ph1.jpg
    ph1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 86
  • ph2.jpg
    ph2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 93
  • ph3.jpg
    ph3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 74
Okay, I dont work on bikes with more then one speed for this very reason. I'm just about finished with my father-in-law's bike I building for him but now I'm stuck. As most of you know we cant test drive our bikes when we get then because a lot of times the bike dont have tires, or the chain is rusted over or whatever. This is the 1955 Columbia Fire-Arrow (the pain in the ass bike) I've been working on. I took the bike apart a while ago and dont remember how it goes back together with this part. Can anyone help me out?

What is this part? What does it do or what is it for? I looking to fit onto the chaingaurd but doesn't seen to fit onto anything else once on the chaingaurd. It has a port for oil (I think) maybe it's for the shifting cable?

Don't know what you call it but it goes chain guard. It's supposed to make oiling the chain easier. Should have a thick felt pad on it. Mr. Columbia might have a better idea.

Indeed that's what it is! They used to be spongey and would have absorbed oil and pinched the chain just the slightest when they were new. I have one on my Fire Arrow as well. Also on two early 60s Columbias I used to have.

That is a Columbia chain oiler from the late 50s/early 60s. I was not alive then so I do not know if they actually worked all that great or not. It was not available on every bike, I've seen a handful of Columbias with this option. These include the Fire-Arrow, Thunderbolt, Firebolt, and the Torpedo (which I own).

It attaches inside the chain guard and the chain passes thru it and cleans and oils the chain. You keep the felt saturated with oil. Somewhere on your chainguard you will see two holes to mount it.

On Columbias, I've typically seen these near the back of the chaingaurd, in the "fin" area.

Back