When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need some Schwinn frame tip/tricks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Danny the schwinn freak

cruisin on my ratty Schwinn straightbar
Hello all and Merry Christmas! I have an old 1950 panther staightbar frame I recently bought. I’m trying to put fork bearing cups in it so I can start putting it together. But all of them fit a little loosely. Not majorly sloppy, just loose enough to spin freely in the frame. This is the same, top and bottom no matter how many different races I try. Does anyone have any home remedies for this that don’t involve welding or brazing the opening up to make it smaller? I’ve heard rumors of people having success using JBweld to build it up slightly, sanding it to fit and then tapping them in. Just wondered what you guys suggest. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Danny

They always fit tight after they have been repainted. Maybe you can paint the inside of the headtube with several coats and give it a try? Barry

Throw them in, and clamp them down. Then tig weld all the way around them. That should keep them in place

IMG_5831.PNG
No this sounds like something you would do.....

Why not use some super thin tape around the bearing cup to act like a shim.
I thought about that. I thought about using some beer can material as a shim. Just didn’t know if that would work or not. As cheesy as it sounds, the idea of building it up a little with in weld and sanding it to fit sounds like it would work.

Back