When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need some Schwinn frame tip/tricks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
What's the easiest way? Just set the cup with bearing end down on the workbench and slightly flare out the bottom of the cup with the right size socket or flaring tool. Or as bubba G would do, just bend it out a wee bit with two sets of pliers/vice grips. :p

I have an old Whizzer frame that had flared head tube ends. I was able to put a piece of solid stock inside for support, and tap it back in place with a small shot filled hammer. No paint loss using this method!

Maybe buy a set of repop cups??...that stuff never fit on original frames....maybe this time it will

In the shops I worked in back in the day (mid-70's - 1980s) if we had a Huffy, Murray, etc. that needed new bb bearings or head bearings and the cups fell out (as above) we did the following:

If the cups would fit somewhat tight but still too loose to leave the shop - we cut drink can shims (it was better metal back then) and they were usually the best fix.

If the cups were Really loose, we would take the cup and put the sleeve portion in a vise and slightly deform it (not the race) and then press it back in - voila!

In really bad cases involving third shift bikes, I have even known a frustrated mechanic to slightly deform the bb shell with a hammer...you want yer bike fixed or not?

Back