When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need the year for a JC Higgins bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

shortstop

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I came across 2 J C Higgins bikes that purchased a few months ago. One was a 502 that this forum helped me to determine was a 1953 model. I also need to know about my serial number 503.46150. It is pretty good condition and looks to be complete. I'd appreciate your assistance to get as much information as possible.

For Sale JC Higgins3.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins 4.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins2.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins5.jpg

That number is a part number with the 502 indicating it was supplied by Murray. Any other numbers stamped on the frame? I'd guess that's an early post war with that track style rear fork end.

The only serial number is the one that I identified underneath the frame and crank. I'm not sure of the other locations to identify the year or model. It is a single speed and appears the seat, handle bar, pedals, etc are all original.

The serial number 503.46150 is the number on the bike that is pictured.

Here's a site with Sears catalog scans. No bikes sold in 1946 or 47.

Imported from Daimler Steyr Puch in Austria, probably from sometime in the early '50's until the '70's. Most have three speed hubs which can often be dated, but it looks like yours is single speed. The serial numbers on the ones I've seen follow a linear progression. I've got a red men's "JC Higgins" no. 150xxxx from the early '60's and a blue women's "Sears" from the early '70's, no. 398xxxx. All I've seen use 7 digit serials but there may be some from the '50's with 6.

Here's pictures of the serial from one I have, a cantilever 1962 by the hub:

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

It may look similar to some Murrays, but Murray never used lugged frames, did they? There was a short period in the late '50's and early '60's where many European manufacturers started building "American" styled bikes for the U.S. market.

Back