When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need the year for a JC Higgins bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here's a site with Sears catalog scans. No bikes sold in 1946 or 47.

The catalogs are amazing and very helpful with pictures and descriptions. Very valuable showing the changing trends how the bikes are equipped. I appreciate you taking the time to provide these catalogs to me.

Imported from Daimler Steyr Puch in Austria, probably from sometime in the early '50's until the '70's. Most have three speed hubs which can often be dated, but it looks like yours is single speed. The serial numbers on the ones I've seen follow a linear progression. I've got a red men's "JC Higgins" no. 150xxxx from the early '60's and a blue women's "Sears" from the early '70's, no. 398xxxx. All I've seen use 7 digit serials but there may be some from the '50's with 6.
Good info, thanks

Here's a site with Sears catalog scans. No bikes sold in 1946 or 47.

Not true. Sears very well did indeed sell bicycles in 1945, 1946 and 1947. There were indeed model numbers for those years as well. Yes. My late friend, Viktor Schreckengost (Sears' head bicycle designer) confirmed this fact for me. We have the literature, of course... including individual Owner's Manuals.

It is a fallacy of this hobby (largely based on Xerox-copy-from-catalogue "books") that all Sears Elgin, J.C. Higgins, etc. bicycles were pictured in consumer mail-order catalogues. They weren't. The hobby should drop this notion because it is sadly mistaken.

Also, not all numbers on Sears bicycles with "50" prefixes are "serial numbers"... most are model numbers (and yes, model numbers usually indicated the manufacturer). Not the same as a serial number. Two different things.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
(NBHAA.com)

Last edited:
Not true. Sears very well did indeed sell bicycles in 1945, 1946 and 1947. There were indeed model numbers for those years as well. Yes. My late friend, Viktor Schreckengost (Sears' head bicycle designer) confirmed this fact for me. We have the literature, of course... including individual Owner's Manuals.

It is a fallacy of this hobby (largely based on Xerox-copy-from-catalogue "books") that all Sears Elgin, J.C. Higgins, etc. bicycles were pictured in consumer mail-order catalogues. They weren't. The hobby should drop this notion because it is sadly mistaken.

Also, not all numbers on Sears bicycles with "50" prefixes are "serial numbers"... most are model numbers (and yes, model numbers usually indicated the manufacturer). Not the same as a serial number. Two different things.

Leon Dixon
(NBHAA.com)
Hello Leon,
I see you weighed in on my JC Higgins bike and I was wondering if you are in agreement that this bike is 1954. And if you wouldn't mind giving me an idea on this other one MOD 502 MOS-S #2255.01

1684183953678.png

For Sale JC Higgins after.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins after 1.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins before 1.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins parts 1.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins parts 2.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins parts 4.jpg

For Sale JC Higgins parts 6.jpg

I selected 1953 from the chart
Yes. Well. In this case you are correct for a date of manufacture... but not necessarily a model year date.

Just remember that the chart you posted is not the chart... it is just a chart. Something that somebody found and re-adapted. It was never intended to be used as DIY-ers are doing on the internet today. Never intended for J.C. Higgins...and what may be true in some circumstances for certain bicycles is not true for anything and everything that Murray-Ohio made. One size does not fit all.

Please yank those pedals and save them from destruction. They deserve preservation. Also the front Wonderide "bee-hive" fork in your pics has been re-assembled with the pivot clips backwards. EEeeeek! It was never designed to operate like this and will ultimately fail if continuously ridden this way by a present-day adult. Full turning force and suspension stress is now concentrated on the shoulder bolts. Suggest you put it back to original if riding.

Leon Dixon
NBHAA.com

Last edited:
I selected 1953 from the chart
@shortstop joined the CABE just 3 days ago; and already mastering how to date bicycles.

A very quick learner.

The springer forks, toggle pieces and axle, should be connected behind (vs. in front of) the fork ends of the forks fixed to the frame.

Last edited:
Back