When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need to look where I'm going....

-
Scored this jem from a fella that was in his 80s , I pulled it out of his barn said he built it in the early 70s , turned out to be a 64 frame , thought it was a cool lil piece of history

1017091804a-1.jpg

I was on a gravel section of the local greenway just where it turned back onto the pavement. As I was coming into the turn it struck me that it was a little too sharp for the speed I was going. I went to grab the brakes, but grabbing the brakes hard on gravel to avoid a crash is just another means to the same end, and it was summer, so of course I was wearing shorts. This was only a couple of years ago, so I guess I'm still learning. I can also vouch that you need to stay square when you're crossing light rail tracks. There's a trench that clears the wheel flanges, and if you get lined up too close, your front wheel will drop right in and you CAN"T steer back out again! What makes this even better is when you're riding with your friends in the local bike club so there are plenty of witnesses! But at least I was able to jump up before anyone snapped any pictures! At least, I don't think they did...

at 11, I was riding the Stingray through the desert in Tucson, along with my friends. I was tearing it up and well in front of them, turned to look back at them and trash talked them for being slow. Turned around just has I made contact with the top strand of a barb wire fence, flew backwards a good distance, no idea how fast I was going, just pumping all out, going downhill, woke up getting stitches across my face, the tetanus shot was the worst part.

My friends were good kids, one stayed with me, while the other went and got my Dad, then they brought my bike home for me, I didn't get to ride for about a week after that one.
Ouch...

I was on the back of my friends Tote Gote dragging my feet in the tall grass having a great time until my right foot wrapped itself around an iron pipe hose bibb! Pulled me clean off the gote and into an ambulance with broken ankle and toes. At least it was my introduction to pain killers!

Last edited:
yes, it was quite the ouch, took years for the scars to go away, right above my upper lip, I wore a mustache for 15 years to cover them.

Looking back on it, I was very lucky not to kill myself that day.

I'll say. Someone was watching over you when you were not watching. I think we've all had some close calls/bad spills. I ran into a tree at school ( at a pretty fast run) in grade 7 because a kid was chasing ( I was looking back, not forward) me with a book that belonged to a girl we determined had "cooties". I broke my thumb.. Maturity never grows on me. I just thought of a bike OUCH...I'll post. Take care.

About 20 years ago after a few "adult beverages" while out of town selling a vintage boat/overnight trip, I decided that riding my Schwinn mountain bike in a skate park in shorts and Birkenstock sandals was a good idea? NOT. I went off the side of a jump ( about 4 feet high) and pile drove my right heel into concrete. Shattered the heel. That was a LONG Summer. To re-quote myself. "Maturity never grows on me". Common sense doesn't stick either?

About 20 years ago after a few "adult beverages" while out of town selling a vintage boat/overnight trip, I decided that riding my Schwinn mountain bike in a skate park in shorts and Birkenstock sandals was a good idea? NOT. I went off the side of a jump ( about 4 feet high) and pile drove my right heel into concrete. Shattered the heel. That was a LONG Summer. To re-quote myself. "Maturity never grows on me". Common sense doesn't stick either?
shattered heels really suck, I have fractured my right heel once, and pulverized my left heel, it is now made of compressed coral. Neither was riding bikes, both were work accidents.

Falling off of tall buildings can ruin your day.

WHOA!!!!....eye received my 1957 schwinn wasp for my seventh birthday...red and white it was...after riding very fastly ....way ahead of our neighborhood gang..i ran into the back of a 54 Pontiac...broke the forks off the schwinn and eye got a big fat lip ...i dragged the two schwinn peaces over to Mr. Jerris where he welded the frame and forks together..little paint and i was ridin' on my birthday...this turned out to be one of many events to follow.......joly foly.......

Back