When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need to look where I'm going....

-
Anyone ever make a chopper out of their muscle bike in the 70's by cutting the forks off another bike and pounding them on? I was doing a wheely and had one of them fall off. Ouch!
Yeah but U were just copy-cat. We ere doing it in early 60's. Good thing for all the junk crap Murray, Huffy's and the like with hollow forks, there was a plentiful supply of em. I think 4 forks were the limit though, otherwise couldn't keep front wheel grounded. Then miscellaneous pipes and stuff. And yeah, it was a disaster once they break, fall apart or wheelie past balance, scull cracken dope. .

An, I never ran into anything but this punk A.. kid. I didn't know him but, ran up out of nowhere, fist tight and Clocked me good, on the head, flipped me back, spun my bars into my front teeth. Ergh..

Last edited:
shattered heels really suck, I have fractured my right heel once, and pulverized my left heel, it is now made of compressed coral. Neither was riding bikes, both were work accidents.

Falling off of tall buildings can ruin your day.

Wow....you've taken some 'hits". Bummer. The heel injury is common to falling off a ladder. Hopefully you don't suffer much ( if at all) from past injury. My feet ( no arches/too much running in bad shoes etc.) give me foot issues ( I ran a few more years after the heel healed...duh??) now work out by doing laps in the pool, some walking, some cycling. I did quite a bit of warehouse work, construction, steel toe boots on concrete that wears the body down too. Couple car accidents, motorcycle accident, they all take a toll.

I'm just getting over a fractured Fibula ( slipped on ice/ankle bent over) and refused screws plates and hardware. Doctor said if I didn't do the operation I'd be a Gimp. Ha!! I'm already a Gimp/Hillbilly so what's his point? Orthopedic surgeon on the heel 20 years back gave me about the same odds. Oh well.

My advice to you.... Be healthy my friend!!

I did the same thing when I was maybe 10. I cut the forks off and old bike and used them to make a chopper.... popped a wheelie and off they went....then I had that fun front-flip experience and laid in the road a bit :( A drill and screws were then used to secure the connection!
That's what I did with my "Buzz Bike". I was the envy of the neighborhood for a couple of weeks. Then, other guys started doing it too.

When I was 16 I got a Sears "English Racer" style bike for my birthday. 26" with the skinny tires, coaster brake. I had another kid challenge me to a race and I was out in front when I hit a manhole cover protruding about 2" out of the street. I went over the handle bars and landed on my face and left arm. I broke a front tooth off and was skinned from my wrist to my shoulder on the left arm. Went to sleep that night with my arm bent and when it scabbed over, I couldn't straighten it out. Had to go to the dentist the next morning also and he put a temporary cap on my tooth. I laid out of school for the rest of the week so I could do some healing and work on getting my arm straightened out. My mother took pictures but they somehow "mysteriously" disappeared over the years. I finally got a permanent tooth repair when I was 20 years old. Good times!!!

I feel the pain and it’s real! Ouch!!!! I’ve done the nards to center bar. Nards to stem and many other wipeouts. Last really memorable one: I had attached an 80’s mountain bike rack to the front of my beach cruiser. Heading down hill at speeds it broke free. Caught the front wheel and spun till it locked on the fork. Instant stop, over bars and chin to cement. That old 30’s type of cement big pours and old sea shells in it. I hit so hard on the right front of my chin, my left jaw attachment point felt broken. About eight stitches later I still got that scar as a reminder. No racks over front wheel EVER!

I feel the pain and it’s real! Ouch!!!! I’ve done the nards to center bar. Nards to stem and many other wipeouts. Last really memorable one: I had attached an 80’s mountain bike rack to the front of my beach cruiser. Heading down hill at speeds it broke free. Caught the front wheel and spun till it locked on the fork. Instant stop, over bars and chin to cement. That old 30’s type of cement big pours and old sea shells in it. I hit so hard on the right front of my chin, my left jaw attachment point felt broken. About eight stitches later I still got that scar as a reminder. No racks over front wheel EVER!

Dang that hurts!! The things we do. You had good intentions. You needed a rack for a case of brew, right? ha! Now you don't wanna catch said GO-Nards on one of these!!

867329-f86de0dcdd4d7f0e2fd8b8e2565ea673.jpg

Last edited:
Once I was riding my girl cousin's bike and attempted a "wheelie" off the top of a rise.... well the %$@&*#@ front wheel flew off. Forks stop a bike very fast! Ripped the whole nail off my left middle finger, and it didn't even bleed till I looked at it....LOL!
Look ma no hands, next look ma no teeth!

Back