When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I REALLY have to reassess postage fees!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm not sure how you know all these details since it didn't happen to you. Was that the sellers story?
Strange that's not what it states on USPS site. An inspector shows up...guy gets fined...did he get Federal jail time? Just curious.
He would have to be a major postal abuser, eBay postage gouger, etc.
Our local post office I can carry in something like a kickstand and they'll find the least expensive shipping way, then help pack it.
I'm not advocating media shipping since it's illegal.

Sent from my Bell candlestick

Don’t like selling prewar wood rim bikes especially motorbikes they cost more than balloon due to size especially with rims included... I learned my lesson when sold a frame for 120 packed it up and shipped it for 100.00 plus insurance plus cost of box and supplies and time to box...... got - $8.00 after all done..so I don’t do them very much if at all anymore.

You may be right...but in a way that's money they wouldn't have otherwise, and what's the difference between mailing a one pound rolled up magazine and a one pound Delta light in newspaper...same size package?
I feel screwed by the government in various ways with my tax dollars all the time.
Just a suggestion.
We get stuff mailed via USPS all the time from China in plastic bags for pennies.
How do they do it? Isn't that screwing our government?
The OPs (and others) dilemma is selling a $20 item then paying $13 shipping or $7 "profit". I'm just thinking of an alternative.
This is from USPS site...
"The drawback of Media Mail is that USPS has a right to open and inspect your package to check for abuse of the system. Therefore, you will risk having your package sent back to you for insufficient postage."
So worse case you then have to pay standard rate. I don't imagine too many packages get opened and inspected.

So your reasoning is, since China screws our government then you might as well too? At least we all now know who we are dealing with here, and who we can trust. “Or not “

So your reasoning is, since China screws our government then you might as well too? At least we all now know who we are dealing with here, and who we can trust. “Or not “
Maybe I shouldn’t have said what I did above. I’m not saying that you are dishonest, but these days it just seems like anything goes. Lots of people screwing each other and trying to get over on someone. I’ve certainly made mistakes, but I try to be honest even if it cost me. Hope I haven’t offended anyone... Anthony

It won't make it through. They busted a guy that sold me something on eBay. He wanted to gouge me on shipping, so he sent it media mail. X-ray showed it was metal. They opened it, and a postal inspector showed up at his house. I eventually got the item, but he got fined and kicked off eBay too.
so gettin kicked off ebay is a bad thing?

Your reasoning is nutty. No offence.
My goal was trying to help a fellow member mail things inexpensively. The Chinese do it all the time.
USPS will probably be less than UPS or FedEx, especially smaller things. Personally I would go to our local USPS office, talk to them. Volume shippers get a discount. There is a way to ship for less.
You completely misunderstand my intentions.

Regarding the inexpensive shipping on items from China, that goes back a long way, for almost a hundred years, through the Universal Postal Union, international mail within a certain weight, was transferred for free among the nations, then in 1969 they had a brilliant idea to actually add some money in there, on smaller nations, and charge less for the more developed countries (like the US). It was a really strange setup, but increased volumes of mail, offset the costs (in theory).

Anyhow, when eCommerce started getting prevalent, the United States Postal Service and China Post, entered into an agreement that allowed sellers to use what are known as "e-packets", for items up to 4 pounds, 4 ounces. It was great for China, because it was stupid inexpensive, not so much for mail to China though, as it was still quite expensive. The USPS justified it, because it added almost 26 million in revenue for the first year. Yet, for some reason, the folks in charge of running the business of the post office, don't understand that if you increase revenue by getting 26 million more in, but it costs you 29 million to do it, you have actually lost money.

Anyway, in 2018, the president of the United States brought this up, the disparity of pricing charged and asked why? Congress is looking into it, and it looks like the e-packet trade will be done away with, at least at the pennies on the dollar cost that is enjoyed today.

There are quite a few good articles about it, yet the direct result is that the USPS is looking at how to fill in the hole, and increasing service costs always seems to be the answer, never mind, not increasing service itself.

Aside of all of that, the more you ship, the less expensive your shipping is, the shipping companies will factor the volume in, and offer you better pricing based on that.

Back on another discussion, regarding paypal fees, I had mentioned that you can use paypal postage printing service, which is actually about 5% or more less than what you pay at USPS website, and 6 to 7% less than at the post office. Also, the 3% number that everyone throws around, regarding paypal fees, isn't exactly correct. If you sell an item, get paid for good and services, either factor that cost of payment processing in. I think that on fee processing I actually pay just around 2%, sometimes less. Then the postage savings helps to offset that in the end.

Just part of what I have learned doing e commerce since 1999. Ultimately though, USPS is pricing itself out of business.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/document/inbound-china-epacket-costing-methodology

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...anges-terminal-dues-and-epacket-rates/573337/

Last edited:
I think the last one I sold I put in a flat rate padded envelope. I think those have gone up in price too, but at the time it was cheaper than anything else I could find.
Thanks for that suggestion...I was able to use USPS flat rate padded envelope ( kickstand JUST fit) and send for $8.00.

Appreciate the tip.

Back