When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I recently purchased a New Hudson bike and know nothing about it

-

pelletheswede

On Training Wheels
I got the bike a few weeks for free thinking that I would try do my first Resto project but I can't find anything about on the interweb.

I did find out that New Hudson also made motorcycles at one point and that they were bought by BSA and then Raligh but have had

a hard time finding anything like it accept for some 50's models but they had different brakes, chain gauads and other stuff.

Anyway you help would be much apreciated.

It has a gold step though frame & Fork and Army green fenders and chain guard

Thank you

It also has a serial number NB5269883

Good choice, nice Irish colors for an England bike. At first I was concerned when I thought that an antique Miami Ohio Hudson (or predecessor) bicycle was the subject of your very first restoration attempt. No worries about European bikes.

OK, I love the the feedback so far but can anybody tell me what this bike is? All I have is the bike and all it's current parts, don't know if they are real or replacement parts. Let me know if you need me to upload any other pictures. The bike appears to be in good condition but as you can see from the pictures I have taken it apart and plan to to clean all the parts and then will attempt to repaint the frame , fork, fenders and chain guard and would like to keep it all as original as I can. Let me know what this bike actually is the model and year if you can help me out. Thanks, Pelle pelletheswede

If you had the wheels you'd find a date code stamped on rear hub.
The trigger shifter graphics may help solve vintage question as well. The serial stamping and pedals look fairly modern. '70s? My Guess.
IMO the original paint and decals look pretty darn nice and I'd recommend conservation consideration.
I think you'd be very satisfied with a very detailed clean up and super service type restoration.
Add a fresh snazzy set of tyres, brakes, maybe posh leather bits at the end and you'd have a real sweet riding eye catcher.
I'd recommend saving your enthusiasm for an intensive full repaint restoration or custom build on a man's bike that truly deserves it.
Once you see the excellent results of your elementary work on this nice original classic you'll be looking for that next level project that you're bound to appreciate greatly.
Welcome to your new Hobby.

Last edited:
If you had the wheels you'd find a date code stamped on rear hub.
The trigger shifter graphics may help solve vintage question as well. The serial stamping and pedals look fairly modern. '70s? My Guess.
IMO the original paint and decals look pretty darn nice and I'd recommend conservation consideration.
I think you'd be very satisfied with a very detailed clean up and super service type restoration.
Add a fresh snazzy set of tyres, brakes, maybe posh leather bits at the end and you'd have a real sweet riding eye catcher.
I'd recommend saving your enthusiasm for an intensive full repaint restoration or custom build on a man's bike that truly deserves it.
Once you see the excellent results of your elementary work on this nice original classic you'll be looking for that next level project that you're bound to appreciate greatly.
Welcome to your new Hobby.
As the man said, "if you had the wheels....."
Your example, is post the Raleigh takeover.
If you look at Kurt Kaminer's website your frame number puts its production date around February 1975 at the main Raleigh factory in Nottingham, England. However, yours has one too many numbers? Perhaps an error, or perhaps a lot of bikes were made, who knows.
I have a practically identical Raleigh badged frame in the garage somewhere, with white, but non scripted, pedals of the same design.
I've had a quick look through the V-CC library and haven't found anything yet.
I'll dig a little more.
It would seem that they had quite a thing for flamboyant paint with contrastingly coloured mudguards.
I'm in no way an expert though.

I have the wheels, what should I look for and am will post pictures of the wheels if that will help me figure out what the model is and what year it is.

Am so so thankful for all you help.

Will pos as soon as I cn take pictures.

There will be a two digit year code stamped on A Sturmey Archer hub that will be obvious for year of manufacture and similar month code.
Let's say 73 08 for example.
You may also find an (3 digit maybe) alpha numeric for hub model #.
Your trigger shifter may likely have a clear plastic cover for suspected era. Earlier models no cover, later years black cover.
I too am no expert either just giving my two cents.
It's a very clean looking bike.
I think some tires with a red line would look great, but there are some other nice options.
It's not a big dollar bike and not a great money maker, so investing in portable parts that you can enjoy and carry over to your newer projects may be one option if you kit it out for style and comfort.

Back