When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Relocated And Bought Back My1940s Hawthorne Comet

-
Great story,Good for you getting back your bike. I once sold a car and regretted it,thought I'd buy it back if I ever had the chance. Well,after 13 years I saw it advertised for sale. The owner remembered me and how I hated to sell it. (divorce sale) The wife (new) and I took it for a spin,it was cool but just not the same as before,I passed on the deal and realized I really wouldn't it or any of my old toys back. They were fun @ the time but things change.

Bicycle Heaven, thanks for the posts! I really hope to visit Pittsburgh and see my old bicycle one of these days. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. About a year ago I was browsing your website and found my old Hawthorne, so I took a screenshot of it. I ended up working at a video rental store with the daughter of the person from whom I bought it, and I showed her pictures of the restored bicycle. I wanted her father to see it, but it turned out he had passed away from cancer.
1941hc.JPG

Roadkill, it's nice to hear from you. I have also had great results using Meguiar's products. I want to also neutralize the rust and protect bare steel. I don't plan to have it out in the rain, but want to preserve the bicycle's original paint and plating as much as I can. I'm hoping to finally get around to taking it apart and detailing it within the next few months if it's not too hot.

PCHiggin, I suppose finally getting to see cherished items from the past can either make you realize how much want them back, or can help let things go as you realize that though you've had good memories with them, they are no longer a good fit. I've had maybe 33 cars and hundreds of bicycles during my lifetime, and while they were all pretty cool, I feel no need to have them back. With regards to this Hawthorne bicycle, I am definitely happy to have it back and will keep it my entire life. Even though it will make a great display item, I intend to ride it lots and make more memories on it once I have it truly rideable. I plan to get an appropriate bicycle rack on my car and take it to Utah to ride through my old neighborhood and go sight-seeing.

I really enjoyed your story/history.
I liked that Hawthorne so much what when I saw another one for sale (only a few months after selling the last one), I had to have it. This one had original maroon paint, and even the original Wards Riverside Mate tires that still held air. I worked the summer at the airport and saved up $600 to buy it. My friends thought I was crazy to spend so much money on an old bicycle. I got it from Zack Sudderth (dlxjaguar) at Musclebike.com/Second Time Around Bicycles in 1998. As pictured, it did not have a seat, and the handlebars were from a different bicycle. The tank was not in the box when the bicycle arrived, but Zack got it to me a week or two later.

Here are pictures of it from the website from which I bought it:
View attachment 200242
View attachment 200243
View attachment 200244
View attachment 200245
View attachment 200246
View attachment 200247

I installed a larger set of handlebars and bought a seat from Jerry Peters of Chestnut Hollow, through the mail-order catalog. I also installed a vintage license plate, which was an antique store purchase. I cherished the bicycle and put many miles on it every day. I didn't let anyone ride it, but once I made an exception. I let my friend ride it, and he immediately rode it through a puddle. I yelled at him to get off! I installed a working horn, and my father helped me get the headlight to work. It was VERY bright! I remember riding it in the Swiss Days bicycle parade in Midway, Utah. I had so much pride in it. I would also ride it to church and park it next to a 1950s Murray Strato Line that the original owner still had from his childhood (he showed me a picture of it when it was new, and he had his baseball uniform on, in front of a barn where he still worked).

The maroon one was by far the most favorite bicycle I've owned, but when I was 14, I spotted a 1958 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 limousine in someone's back yard, and wanted to drive it when I turned 16 (I already had a 1923 Model T Ford that the farmer next door gave me, but it was far from being drivable). So, I asked about buying it, and the old lady at the door said I could take it and all of the other cars on the property for free. Then an old gentleman came to the door and said, "No, no, she is just joking. I think I would take $2,000 for it." I told him that I had an old bicycle that was probably worth about $1,200, so I would sell it to try to come up with the money, but the man accepted the Hawthorne Comet as a trade. The man owned a gas station, a Buick Dealership that had been in the family since 1909, a towing company, and a motel. He wanted the bicycle for the front window of the Buick dealership, which was now full of vintage cars and memorabilia from the 1930s and 1940s. So, I got the Cadillac, and he got the Hawthorne. (I still have the jacket that I'm wearing in the pictures.)
View attachment 200250
View attachment 200252
View attachment 200258
View attachment 200251

My father wasn't too happy about the Cadillac, and ultimately talked me into selling it, saying it would never run without a full engine rebuild. The person who bought the Cadillac put a battery in it and drove it away. The power divider window still worked, and the rear seat still had the plastic over it. As for the Hawthorne, the last I knew it was still in the window of that dealership, but the owner passed away in 2004 and it looked like the place was boarded up for a while and then renovated (with tinted windows, so I couldn't see inside on Google Maps). I'd been wanting to see the bicycle again and hopefully someday buy it back because it has great sentimental value.

The bicycle was in Utah, and I moved to Washington, and then to Arizona. But, I didn't know if it was still around or if I could afford to buy it back. That's the one bicycle I wish I still had. That and an MTD Hi-Lo collapsible bicycle with 16" wheels that I never should have sold. I had many, many bicycles in my younger years. They have come and gone, but the maroon Hawthorne tugged at my heart strings.

View attachment 200242

View attachment 200243

View attachment 200244

View attachment 200245

View attachment 200246

View attachment 200247

View attachment 200250

View attachment 200251

View attachment 200252

View attachment 200258

Back