When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I have a early Mead Ranger?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Kevin Fitzke

On Training Wheels
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the antique bicycle world and love these old motor bike styles. I have what I think is a early Mead Ranger Motorbike but perhaps may have some Pathfinder parts on it? I can see some two-tone red and white paint through the rust which makes it seem like more of a Ranger than Pathfinder. It never had a head badge when I got it and the badge mounting holes are straight across i.e. not offset to one side like the Crusader model badge is. I think the Ranger badge holes are straight across but I'm not sure about the Pathfinder badge holes. I recall seeing some information on Great Western Manufacturing built some versions of this bike early on?

The bottom bracket I think is a Fauber and the serial number is 6632. I havn't been able to find any serial number information but thought maybe it's a 1916 model year based off the "6" in the serial number and chain sprocket shown in some old brochure pictures I've seen?

It seems like there was a lot of interchangeable parts between the models but does anyone know the difference between a Ranger Motorbike and a Pathfinder Motorbike and Crusader Motorbike besides the paint color listed in the old brochures?

Any other information on this bicycle from you all would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Kevin

IMG_2095.JPEG

IMG_2097.JPEG

IMG_2098.JPEG

IMG_2102.JPEG

IMG_2103.JPEG

IMG_2105.JPEG

IMG_2106.JPEG

IMG_2109.JPEG

IMG_2110.JPEG

IMG_2112.JPEG

1918-mead-cycle-crusader-bicycles_1_2ee1e4bcdc88d5e607b1aeb27b26e6ad (3).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Welcome to the Cabe! The truss rods look different to me but i am far from a Mead expert. I know lots of interchangeable parts were used back then though..

Pic of the serial number? Not looking Mead to me.
Shawn has requested an image days ago of this serial number for good reason. It can be critical in order to identify these old machines and makers. Even with a photo, it can be difficult, but without it, (in this case) a pure guess. I 2nd the motion to "see" the number and its' possibly informative font style..📸

Hello Everyone, I finally had some time to soda blast the old finish off. It seems to have some sort of golden/yellow primer all over that the soda wasn't able to remove completely. Here are a couple images of the bottom bracket and serial number. The main set of numbers are 6632 and on the side closest to the chain stays, opposite of the chain ring is I assume a "9" if reading in the same orientation as the main set of numbers.

Any help on what the numbers mean is much appreciated. Thanks

IMG_5846.JPEG

IMG_5847.JPEG

IMG_5848.JPEG

Back