When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think it’s a Wasp?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
Found this bike at an antique shop and couldn’t pass it up for the price. I checked the serial # and puts it built on Nov. 25, 1958. I tried to look up the 1958 catalog online but it just doesn’t seem to exist? I looked at the 57 and 59 catalogs and it appears to be a 26” Wasp. The paint is like new except for the chips caused by what appears to be damage done with a pipe or some metal object causing the small dents and the enamel to chip. The chain guard looks incorrect for the Wasp but has the matching color but no decals so that’s weird. The chrome has some rust spots here and there but will clean up ok. The rims are also painted and the rear Typhoon tire is shot but the front one actually looks pretty decent. The Bendix hub is working properly and has a red line around it. The seat may not be correct but is extremely comfortable . Now I ask you guys if I did ok with this bike, the good and the bad?

Last edited:
The Wasp was a Balloon bike and that one is a middleweight that's been repainted and wheels replaced. The build dates are unknown, the serial was stamped on that date and with that late Nov. stamping the bike was probably built in 59 as a 59 model.

Yep a crappy repaint and for God’s sake get rid of that seat! No telling what this started as. All that aside might make a decent rider. V/r Shawn

The Wasp was a Balloon bike and that one is a middleweight that's been repainted and wheels replaced. The build dates are unknown, the serial was stamped on that date and with that late Nov. stamping the bike was probably built in 59 as a 59 model.

So this can then be an American then? I was planning on a repaint anyway.

Yep a crappy repaint and for God’s sake get rid of that seat! No telling what this started as. All that aside might make a decent rider. V/r Shawn

LOL I will. Yea I want it as a rider and will get repainted.

So this can then be an American then? I was planning on a repaint anyway.

Sorry, no Americans were made in 1959. There were maybe 5 models that year with painted fenders. Hornet, Tiger, Speedster, Tornado and Panther II but that one has a hanging peanut tank.

Whew, who knows what that is. Painted fender braces screwed to fenders, adhesive backed headbadge, that chainguard looks off a 90s model. What a hodgepodge...

Ok so it’s a mongrel with a 58 frame. After much debating I was getting ready to just toss it in the trash but the wife actually stopped me cause she wants it painted black for her. She was born in 59 and said it’s close enough in age to her and has always wanted an old black Schwinn cruiser. I inflated the old Schwinn Typhoon tires that actually hold air and took a short ride and was amazed at how smooth it rolls. The coaster hub works perfectly and brakes good.
Nobody said anything about the Schwinn 58 catalog being MIA so what’s up with this particular year?

Last edited:
Ok so it’s a mongrel with a 58 frame. After much debating I was getting ready to just toss it in the trash but the wife actually stopped me cause she wants it painted black for her. She was born in 59 and said it’s close enough in age to her and has always wanted an old black Schwinn cruiser. I inflated the old Schwinn Typhoon tires that actually still can hold air and took a short ride and was amazed at how smooth it rolls. The coaster hub works perfectly and brakes good.
Nobody said anything about the Schwinn 58 catalog being MIA so what’s up with this particular year?

Nice to hear that the Wife saved a bike! Fix it up to her liking and have fun with it without being bothered about what model it started out as. Here's a little detail that this is a 59 model and not a 58. The chrome fork crown was not used on any of the 58's or any of the earlier Schwinns, it first showed up on the 59 models. The serial was stamped on the drop out in 58 and most likely it was used to build a frame in early 59.

Nobody seems to know what the deal is on the 58 catalog, if there even was one. The current owners of Schwinn don't even have a copy of the 58 catalog.

Hey thanks GT. Yea I noticed the chrome detail on the fork shoulders earlier this morning and thought of the same thing.
Interesting how one particular catalog year is missing from the lineup. I wonder what happened?

Back