When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think this is a 1920s Hercules Loop, but wonder if later year's parts added?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

2jayscafe

On Training Wheels
I've seen the chainring design on 1950s bikes, but possibly pre-war models too, although difficult to make out in the pictures/drawings. Chain guard also looks like from the 1950s. Red pin striping can be seen in a few places (rear fender), which I've seen on other 20s models.

The black paint and bolted frame look pre-war. During research I've only seen hand brake models from the early years. This one has a coaster brake and the font on the arm used the Perry font from the 1920s. I couldn't find a single example online, just stamped logos. The hub also says Perry & Co.

If it is from the 1920s, were coaster brake versions rare? I bought this at a yard sale for $20 about a decade ago for tenant use at a rooming house. The brake still seems to work, but I haven't put a load on it. Pedals don't look original and no badges or decals, although it could be painted over on the crown.

Not sure if I want to restore a bit (pedals/seat) or pass it on, but was certainly surprised to learn it could be so old. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

hercules loop.jpg

hercules sn.jpg

hercules perry hub.jpg

hercules perry arm.jpg

hercules chainring.jpg

hercules handlebar.jpg

Another question about these bikes and the hand brake. Did any versions ever come with only a coaster brake? Would there be any holes in the fork or fixed mounting brackets or were hand brakes only fastened with clamps? My bike doesn't have anything besides a bracket on the stem, maybe all that's left of the hand brake?
hercules bracket.jpg

Bike is most likely 60’s
If more info needed you can Pm me
Sorry, havent figured out how to PM yet.. I only found a catalogue page from the 1950s for the loop bike. I can't make out some of the details, but one that stands out is the handle bar shape. Mine has the same contours as this poster's bike, whereas the 50s version is straight across and only curves back near the ends. Does the 60s version revisit the older shape?

I'm not too familiar with the history of the Perry coaster brake. Do you know if the name on brake arm started out as stamped and only became part of the casting later on? Not sure why I assumed the stamping came later, but mine is the same cast logo as the above poster's, which was ID'd 1939.

I only started reading about this this week so I'm still grasping at straws.

Perry logo looks newer I think 50s and 60s as well the shape of those bikes did not change much over the years .
It is probably an import model for a Department store and had a sticker instead of a head badge .
Should be plenty of info on Perry hubs out there but the wheels on that bike might not even be original .
Hercules are very hard to date as there is no serial number info. out there .
If you find some let the rest of us know .
Make it rideable and ride or pass it on to someone who will use it .
Would part it out if it where mine the wheels will probably clean up nice with a little work .
Not real valuable

Just saw that you are from TO . bike is probably an Eatons Glyder made by Hercules you might be able to find an old catalog picture on line .

Yes, there don't appear to be holes to mount the head badge. It almost looks like there could be a sticker under the paint.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the poster's bike coaster brake arm also has the same Perry logo, and the same head light bracket. Were these the same for the 30s, 40s, etc. models?

Did the 50s+ bikes also come in black with red pin striping? It's visible on the seat stem and fenders. The wheels also have a band of black running through the center with red pin stripes along the edge. It was these details that made me think it was an earlier bike.

This 1936 Eaton's catalogue has it, but the next available catalogue at the Canada Archives is 1965, which doesn't. Too bad the chainring design can't be made out if there was variation, but the lack of a front brake fits with mine. The 1936 model was only available in maroon. The Simpson's 1945 has the black enamel, but gold pinstriping. Too bad we're on full lockdown again in Toronto, so no trip to the reference library! It'll have to be in one of them.

eaton 1936.JPG
simpsons 1945 gold pinstripe.JPG

Thank you (all) for the info. I think I will clean it up, the black and red pin striping is quite appealing.

Sorry for clogging up the thread with non pre-1933 fare. I do have a relevant age-wise glass negative that might be of interest. Out of 50 pictures from the 1890s I was surprised I couldn't find one with a bicycle in it to share. This at least has a two-wheeled conveyance. All I know is it's rural Hungary. The crop factor is pretty remarkable too (original file 300 mb).

PP 232.gif

PP 232 full.gif

Last edited:
Back