When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I *think* this is a Vintage Postwar Murray? Help?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Lampropeltis

On Training Wheels
Hello all, new member here. I have been restoring some old bikes and came across this vintage cruiser and can't find any serial numbers or identifying marks on it. The two things that stand out are the double, side-by-side top tubes and the rear dropouts with their teardrop shaped tab (wing etc whatever you want to call it).

I am not familiar with this frame (or anything from this era really) and figured there were many other experts out there who might readily identify this.

Thanks for your help! I can take more pics later when I get home.
rat rod 2.jpeg
rat rod 1.jpeg

Welcome to the CABE! You are correct, it's a Murray. Could have had a number of different badges depending on what company sold it.
Can't help you with the model, but the serial numbers are usually on one of the dropouts from what I have seen, and can be used to date the bike.
I don't know how to date them by serial number, but you can probably find what you need on the cabe. I would guess early to mid 60s.

1962 Murray of I am right on Murrays year lettering system, I'm sure someone will chime in whether I am right or wrong on this, it would probably be a Meteorflite, or one of the various middleweight bikes Murray made for the department stores

Aaron

The rear rack looks like a JC Higgins Flightliner, but the top dual tubes look alot like this Meteor Flite, minus the rear part of the frame of course!

Aaron

20180611_190546.jpg

20180611_190606.jpg

I have seen a few pass by here and a few go up on ebay, I may not have the model name completely correct, it just has a close resemblance, but should give you a start on looking up the correct parts and you may find that exact frame and be able to pinpoint your exact model, if I were you, I would post several more pictures on another thread in the Middleweight Bikes section of the forums, there are some very knowledgeable guys there, you have a middleweight bike and they would probably be able to tell you exactly what you have!

Aaron

I found this Murray Meteor Flite ln eBay this morning that is a little newer than the one I posted above, and it seems to be an exact match for your bike, so I grabbed some of the pics to post here for you so you will see what it should look like, this bike has a different rack than your bike but it may have been swapped over the years

Aaron

s-l400 (2).jpg

20180612_090219.jpg

20180612_090241.jpg

20180612_090258.jpg

Thanks all! Are these common bikes to find in decent working condition?
These can be found in near mint condition. Used to be even a mint boys bike wouldn't get more than about $250. In the last few years I've seen interest increase and these same bikes are running in the $600-800 range for the really nice ones. In lesser condition and missing parts they don't have much collector value though. Just my observations. @partsguy @jd56 @stoney V/r Shawn

Yeah for some reason these bikes are starting to come up a bit in price, I couldn't believe how much the spaceliners are bringing, you used to be able to buy nice examples for $200 maybe less, now I have seen them bringing $500 plus! The one in the pics above the seller is asking $880 for it on ebay, guess you can ask what ever you like!

Aaron

Back