When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was incredulous, but you guys know your stuff

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
I want to thank the CABE community. When I picked up my 41/42 Shelby Traveler and posted it looking for a year, many of you told me this bike would clean right up. To say I had my doubts would be an understatement. As this was my first real attempt at restoration/renovation/refurbishment, I had no idea what I was in for. But I read the old posts. I learned a bunch. And I started working. Fellow newbs take note:

First big lesson: Take your time/Don't rush

I was amazed at how smoothly the model D rear hub slid apart. Putting it back together, however, proved much more challenging. Look closely when you pull things apart. Take pictures. Write notes. Another "slow down" moment came when I pulled the old cover off the beat-up Lobdell saddle. This particular saddle doesn't have the double pan. So in removing the cover, I tore off the rotted, thin, spot-welded sheet metal to which the cover is stitched. This meant I had to employ some additional forms of adhesive when recovering it.

And there were lots of little lessons too, but most of it was trying things you folks had posted about (favorite degreasers, recommended metal polishes, oxalic acid - which is the closest thing to real magic in my opinion). I understand why you all love this hobby. Sometimes it's not just about having the rarest and most valuable bicycle (although that certainly plays a role). Sometimes it's about bringing something back from the brink. Saving it from the scrap yard. Giving it new life. And while the finished product or destination is certainly a source of joy, the process and journey were equally as fun.

Thank you again.

Before and after shots...

IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3576.JPG

Last edited:
Back