When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I would like to ID this bike I got from a storage buy

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Thurman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I got this bike 10 or 12 years ago along with 25 or so others when I purchased a delinquent storage lot. Just now getting around to looking at it. I've been into Whizzers and such for about 30 years but never really learned about the different makes and models of bicycles.
It may be loaded with incorrect parts. The serial number under the crank is A18395. It has a skipper chain and axle adjusters. I don't have plans for it yet but thought it was a cool looking frame. May give it the acid treatment if it's not too rusty. Appreciate any info. Thanks.

DSCN7939.JPG

DSCN7940.JPG

DSCN7941.JPG

DSCN7942.JPG

Looks like the bottom bracket & crankset may have been swapped with a Snyder-built Wards Hawthorne.
I believe "A" is for 1936, about time when Sears had Westfield build bikes for them with the Alemite fittings.

Great info, thank you very much. I just discovered a C2 stamped next to the serial number. Also found some red paint on the fork stem when I removed it.

DSCN7947.JPG

DSCN7948.JPG

I brought home a similar bike a few years ago. Snyder built Elgin. but prior to the Alemite fittings. Mine had provisions for a drop stand. You can see what the Elgin chain ring looked like in this picture.

100_4444.JPG

Here's a page from a 1936 Sears catalog showing bikes similar to what you have. If you Google "Elgin Ads" you can find more.

1936 Elgin ad.jpg

Close up of the headbadge that's on mine.
100_4425.JPG

Last edited:
Back