When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Would Like to Know ? Excelsior? EC Simmons ? Peerless ? Colson ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
One guess I have...which I only resently started to lean towards is D. P Harris . I see these motobikes with is very simple fork crown. The fender bridges seem to be very similar. 3/8s. The only problem is the I.D for these motobikes being D. P Harris is only a guess.
C9305BC4-6207-4FC7-BBAF-1DDF004792AF.jpeg

FA309BCA-8E67-46FC-B5F6-CD3917813A78.jpeg

66B1464D-A7B5-46B3-ADF3-D5622B0ACC4F.jpeg

That's Good Info, As far as HP Snyder frames I have always thought that they all had the volcano connection at the seat tube to the bottom bracket, It's a Dead Give away for Identification. It would Greatly Improve this research if some one had a positive ID Early ( Teens ) HP Snyder frame to show the seat tube bottom bracket connection also the Oval stays connections to the BB. I Never suspected HP Snyder because all the ones i have seen had volcano joint. I Kinda always thought HPS were poor quality, the Simmons frames seems a lot better quality. Maybe earlier is better, pretty sure alot of folks may agree LOL

Thanks for the info. I just don’t know who made these bicycles!!.....I hope we can get to the bottom of this. I really hope that fork helps.

We have seen E.C. Simmons bikes with the round chain stays (rear forks) also; (those may be Shelby?).
It almost makes it more difficult to figure out who built a specific bike and when, if the question is expanded to who made bikes for the retailer that sold them. But when looking for clues, any clue, we may be forced to follow such paths.
For another St. Louis manufacturer, I had seen a clue that for earlier bikes/parts, FOB (shipping charges) was from Chicago IL, and later from Westfield MA, suggesting (to me) a switch from Schwinn to Westfield suppliers.
The catalog p.3104 in above post looks to have a chain ring which I have seen described as Shelby. Who made the earlier (1910-) Simmons bikes?

The 4-heart chain rings may be another clue, (for bikes that may still have them).
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/and-what-about-this-chainwheel.122327/#post-817387 Hyslop?
The sprocket compilation thread indicates H.P. Snyder or D.P. Harris, (but didn't Snyder also absorb some Indiana manufacturers).
Others have posted that they have seen such sprockets that just happened to be found on Schwinn bikes.

Last edited:
I have had Simmons bikes with hyslop chain ring. I would be suspect that Hyslop is a badge name not a manufacturer. and it would be a long stretch for a St. Louis Base hardware store to draw product from across boarders and suspect the bikes were going to Canada from the US or parts used came from jobbers.

I Do Think the fork above that looks to be a Pope or DP Harris style flat crown fork with the big built in truss support in the crown to be another EC Simmons Manufacturer Clue or trait.

Back