When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ichi Sprockets...

-

SKPC

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
After purchasing and running these skip tooth sprockets with the three-tab interface, I am not convinced they last very long...see below of a still-working one where the tabs are self-destructing. I had this happen to failure once when I was a long way from home and it just spun on the drive carrier doing nothing...It would be nice if these were made of harder metal, but are probably made of chinese pot metal. I have modified even-toothed 1/2" pitch sturmey sprockets that seem to last much longer perhaps as they are made of hardened metal. Never had one of those tear the tabs off!!!!!!...these are not so tough, at least for me....:(

After purchasing and running these skip tooth sprockets with the three-tab interface, I am not convinced they last very long...see below of a still-working one where the tabs are self-destructing. I had this happen to failure once when I was a long way from home and it just spun on the drive carrier doing nothing...It would be nice if these were made of harder metal, but are probably made of chinese pot metal. I have modified even-toothed 1/2" pitch sturmey sprockets that seem to last much longer perhaps as they are made of hardened metal. Never had one of those tear the tabs off!!!!!!...these are not so tough, at least for me....:(

View attachment 1094675
Oh bummer - hopefully mine holds out but I imagine you put a lot more miles on yours. I was going to use a rear cog with every other tooth grinded down but was told it can be rough on an old skiptooth chain as they are thinner. I also had the ichi cog filled down on the edges and tops of the teeth so the sharp edges would not cut into the chain. Doesn't seem like these things would cause the tabs to wear like that though.

im 447 lbs and i have purchased one of these from ichi. i have put well over 700 miles on it with no problems. i even put my 140 plus pound gf on the back and we rode 3 miles one way and back to a car show and its still going strong. and if i remember correctly its a 9 tooth.
im not quite sure why yours stripped but ive never had a problem with mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I have one . Doubt it i will use it. Too tight out of the box. Then after sanding became too loose. Guess I could have it tacked, Prolly better switch to different hub and skip all the BS.

A couple observations....as some mention, it will be fine for most riders and last a long time. Yes, @fattyre you know that I am hard on my stuff because I am always powered up and weigh around190lbs. This puts a lot of stress on these three tabs, so as mentioned, for the most part normal riding will not do what you see above. When I destroyed the 1st one and got stranded, I discovered later that the Ichi cog has an "indent" on one side which allows for some slight chainline adjustment by flipping the cog on the carrier. This allowed me to incorrectly :oops:mount the cog so that the tabs were not fully seated as they were trespassing into the snap ring groove, rendering 1/5th the thickness of the three tabs to be trespassing into the groove. This combination allowed the tabs to self-destruct as they were not fully seated in the round tab slots of the driver. Depending on the hub, the drivers are slightly different, the cog thickness is different and the thin spacers are different, so when you put the snap ring on, make sure there is NO PLAY between the sprocket and the carrier and that everything is in the correct spots.
I will say that if you modify a 1/2" pitch hardened sturmey cog, make sure you take your time to ensure the chain "seats" cleanly all the way around the cog before you ride it by grinding down with a Dremel tool the space between the teeth so the chain sits correctly on the cog. Just because the sprocket is thinner, a skippy chain will just adjust normally, sitting left or right depending on chainline, so it really doesn't matter IMO.

Last edited:
Back