When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID help.

-

Goldslinger

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked this up today. I want to restore it for my daughter. It is 24" ,2 piece crank, N.D. model c rear hub . There appears to be raised cast numbers under the crank. They are not very legible. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would be happy to take more detailed pictures if that would help. Thanks all . Sam

I forgot to attach photo.
KIMG0371.JPG

Looks like Colson lug-frame, pre-1933 re-organization, perhaps they could not compete still making heavy lugged-frame bikes.

I have also seen a mens' model with odd dimensions for the 29mm headset and 1.9" bottom bracket cups (on the smaller side).

Colson head badges, at 2-3/16" between holes, are fairly common, and come up for sale often for those with patience.

Do not need close-ups, as the lugs in the frame are quite visible, as is the seat post cluster and threaded boss for the chain adjust screws.

Not sure if there may be a serial number elsewhere, or if it would reveal information as to a specific year; (I vaguely recall an early Colson which may have had a number on the lower right hand side of the head tube). How many teeth on that rear sprocket, more than 10; (looks big)?

Last edited:
KIMG0373.JPG

It has 10 teeth on the rear sprocket . The holes for the head badge are on the side of the head tube . One is a little higher than the other.
Thank you very much Archie for the info . I am new to the bike world . My expertise is in restoring old Willy's Jeeps . Now I have a little info to research this bike.

Nice bike indeed. The paint by the 'casting' number looks like the girl's bike was originally blue, (before being painted safety-green).
Perhaps not unlike early jeeps, this bike has some unique parts that may not be interchangeable, (especially ~90 years later, or so).
The best thing is, those parts are already there on your bike, (e.g., the two-piece crank set). Original piece-parts should be retained.
The side badge holes are harder to match; likely that your Colson-built bike was sold with a hardware/supply store type badge.

Last edited:
The cranks are going to need some real work. They have been welded to the pedals and the crank has been welded to the to the shaft. One good thing is the welding is very poor . With some careful grinding I think I can salvage them. I think you are right about the color. So you think it is late 20s early 30s? I have looked all over for something similar with no luck. I am going to tackle this as soon as I finish a 48 Columbia project for my wife. Thanks for your help.
KIMG0378.JPG

KIMG0378.JPG

Last edited:
I have looked all over for something similar with no luck
Some of the Colson lugged-frame models are badged or referred to as "Silver Ring" models; (not to be confused with Monark Silver King).
Not sure, but the silver ring may or may not refer to a silver brazing process, with a ring of pre-formed solder inserted into a slot or groove machined into the lug. The process works great for pipe brazing, with its many standard cast fittings, (e.g., MIL-F-1183); the trade-off is the special machining of the lugs. I have no idea if Colson joints were brazed with such method; (can't see inside the joints for a slot or groove).

Last edited:
Back