When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'd Like Your Thoughts On These Columbias

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The serial numbers are:
Boy's: L248436 and is a 3 Star Deluxe= 1947 I believe.
Girl's: M492082 and is a Special Deluxe = 1949 I believe.

Hi Deb,

I agree, L = 1947, M345446+ = 1949.

1947.……L5001 - L313474

1948.……M - 5001 - M345445

1949.……M345446 - M525640

Here is a table by Mr. Columbia on Wayback for dating Columbia's in case it's useful to you in future.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180318104158/http://www.vintagecolumbiabikes.com/id79.html

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Adrian

@TieDye

At one time, you had a teen's Davis-DAYTON motorbike
and I thought you were both selective and fortunate.

And now, these. charisma-laden specimens may soon
reside in your stable.

What is it about them. that you enjoy ?

….. patric
I never had a motorbike. Must be thinking of one of the other ladies here.
I love blue bikes as it's my favorite color. I don't own a Columbia yet, nor does my husband. I love the ladies bike for its cosmetic pretty-ness.

So, guys, what parts are missing, and what is incorrect? Can anyone be so kind as to post pictures out of the Columbia catalog for these years and bikes? I'm going to get the catalog from Scott soon, but could really use it now. Thanks!
Deb

I never had a motorbike. Must be thinking of one of the other ladies here.
I love blue bikes as it's my favorite color. I don't own a Columbia yet, nor does my husband. I love the ladies bike for its cosmetic pretty-ness.

==============================================
@TieDye

My mistake, young lady. Am extending my apologies for
the imposition of my confusion.

You are correct … the owner of the Dayton motorbike is
azbug-i …. another lady Caber.

That lady's Columbia is very sano .. and I can see the
attraction. The biggest surprise with that machine ..
for me … is the seldom-seen design of the chainguard.

May you have good fortune should you decide to acquire these.

Patric Cafaro

Screenshot_20190730-113315 columbia.png

Last edited:
I do not know much about Columbia bicycles. I would like any information you can give me on these 2 bikes. The serial numbers are:
Boy's: L248436 and is a 3 Star Deluxe= 1947 I believe.
Girl's: M492082 and is a Special Deluxe = 1949 I believe.
Are these bikes missing any original parts, are there any incorrect parts on them, etc?
If you can post pictures to show me stuff I need to know, please do. I know we have some Columbia experts here. I'd love you to share your knowledge. Thank you!!
Deb

View attachment 1039400

View attachment 1039401

View attachment 1039402
Boys bike may be missing plastic missile truss rod end caps.
Some Columbia's from this era had them.
Don't know much about this year or model.
Look for hole at end of truss rod, check literature, go from there.

Congrats on your bikes, they are clean and original. The chain guard on the girls bike (if original) is rare, I don't recognize it at all and Ive been doing this dysfunctional hobby since 1989.
All of us as collectors, young and old, have owned, or still do, original Columbia tankers. They are affordable, and respected within our collections. As original bike prices continue to climb, clean bikes like yours will open the doors for the "up coming" collectors who don't have the deep pockets other collectors do.
My only guidance I can give is refrain from putting additional money into them (accessories etc) , but instead take apart and clean what you have. You my friend have a couple shiny dimes, there's some excellent discussion here on Cabe that will guide the way on how to do it right.
Go enjoy your collection!

OBTW, the plastic tips on all Columbia struts are usually broken as they are sooooo brittle, a common gremlin. Watch for those if yours are gone. If missing your headlights (try) to refrain from buying a repop if you can (they're quality but....) original bikes deserve original parts if all possible.

I agree with the girls being a 1949. Here is the catalog image from 1949. The serial number and style agree on 49.

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 6.09.11 PM.png

The Boys has me a little stumped. The style chain guard yours has did not come out until 1950. Although that style tank often called a "coffin tank" did come out in 1948 the paint scheme on it is a 50's design. In 1948-49 that tank was on the deluxe models but was retired to lower priced models in the 50's. Check the serial number on the boys bike again. I do not see how it could be a 47 with what I have observed.

Back