When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID of Frame on Craigslist

-
With A-S 3-speed hub, we'll need brakes fore and aft. Front fork is already drilled for caliper brake. Rear needed modification. I fashioned a little steel clip and mounted it where the fender had been attached. Threads were questionable, so I over drilled and tapped the hole. Might need to adjust things a bit for tire clearance. Can't tell until everything is put together.

Man, still waiting for 258 mm spokes from Amazon. This is getting serious. If I run out of projects, I'll have to start doing some stuff on the honey do list.

Progress report:
  • New spokes arrived
  • Wheel built
  • Got tires from a donor MTB
  • Added crank and chainwheel
  • Mounted chain (didn't line up well)
  • Took chain off and straightened out frame
  • Mounted chain (alignment good)
  • Found a suitable fork that matched paint on frame almost exactly (yay!)
  • Added miscellaneous bits and pieces (stem, handlebars, brakes, pedals)
Almost ready for a test ride but we need a shifter cable. Oh well, test ride might have to be done in 3rd gear. And yes, need a saddle too (details, details)

Test ride results: Moves along nicely but there is a click in the Sturmey-Archer hub (somewhere around once per rotation). Study of this condition will be delegated to the Three-Speed Investigation Department. Also needs rear brake cable (Parts Department failed to find one long enough) and some aesthetic improvements (painting of handlebars and caliper brakes).

All done and road tested! It turns out that the click in the rear was a result of some spokes that were a tad loose. I snugged them up and the click went away. The Wheel Assembly Department has been requested to prepare an incident report on this.

The saga continues. I was riding and came upon a friend. He admired the bike and said that it was nice to have a bike that you can just jump on and ride. I'm not sure exactly what he meant, but it sounded positive. Further, he said that I needed a rack to carry stuff. I couldn't help but agree. So, I checked the Parts Department for racks. With the forked seat stays on this bike, my choices were limited. But, lo and behold, I came across a Flightliner/Spaceliner rack that attaches to the seat post clamp and has geometry that works. And, as a bonus, the rack has louvers to enhance air flow and prevent overheating. The Design Department recommended that this rack be painted red to match the frame. The case has been referred to the Painting Department.

Painting Department found an old, half-pint can of Cook & Dunn Alkyd Quick Drying Enamel in Chinese Red. And it wasn't all dried up! Turns out to be a very close match to red of the frame. Brushed finish was considered satisfactory because the finish on the frame is kinda rough; no use making the frame look bad. Is this color approved by the Communist Party of China? So we now have a hybrid of a 1949 Columbia and a 1960's Flightliner or Spaceliner (Columbialiner? Flilumbia?) In any case, I now have a place to strap down library books, baseball caps, etc.

With the risk of being reported to the Department of Redundancy Department, I think the various Departments all worked well together to create something fun from your pile of parts!

Back