When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID / year ? BF Goodrich Vigilante

-

spleeft

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi all,
Found this bike at garage sale, he wants $50. I kinda just like the way it looks but wanted your'alls opinion on its history/ etc. Hes says it from the 50's.
Thanks for any help

BF Vigilante.JPG

More like mid-60s but still very cool. Not a particularly valuable bike but at $50 that's a decent deal. Most like these for their space-age styling, I'd buy that for $50 if I came across it. Bummer someone spray-painted the front rim...

A few years ago I bought one of these in chrome with the springer for $250, I think it was. It had apes added and came with a set of minty Esso tiger grips.

Some heavy duty easy off oven cleaner will take that paint off those tires & rim too in a few mins. Don't do it on the bike or near it though ....

Last edited:
Mixed matched rims? Schwinn was building bikes for BFG before Murray started in the 60's. I've seen 1960 BFG Schwinns so that bike is most likely an early-mid 60's.

Nope the rims are drop centers? But the front 1 seems to be painted in the yellow paint that is on the rear white wall tire? Like a reverse scheme

For $50 I'd jump on that deal; the rest of the bike looks Pretty Good & the chain ring chrome cover is there / looks Nice!

Mixed matched rims? Schwinn was building bikes for BFG before Murray started in the 60's. I've seen 1960 BFG Schwinns so that bike is most likely an early-mid 60's.
I don't know man, the rim profiles sure don't look the same to me. Hard to tell though, so I can't assume they're the same.

I don't know man, the rim profiles sure don't look the same to me. Hard to tell though, so I can't assume they're the same.
You may be right but what I can tell from zoomin' the image on my phone; they appear to be identical to the 1es on my Columbia but I could see how the painted wheel & tires could throw that illusion. If I'm wrong I'm Wrong though & I learn.... of course I don't think these were original to my '64

Back