When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideale 90 damaged--is there a solution?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

LouB

Look Ma, No Hands!
Saddle question? Is there a way to repair this without damaging the Rebour etched leather top. Top is perfect! Hate to lose it.

Ideale broken strut.jpg

Interesting. I've never noticed how those were attached originally. Compression fit like a rivet, brazed or what. The bubba way would be to clean it up real good with a Dremel and JB it making sure it fits all the way in the hole without applying any force. If it's bent then it will have to be bent back to where it sets in the hole all the way without using force to push it down or holding it to the original seating position.

I've used a lot of JBWeld, even drilled and tapped it, but that's one application I wouldn't trust it.
A certain other brand of saddle had a tendency to bend the rails, and one bent on me - too much at stake.

Can you show a picture of the side that is still good. If it was riveted you should be able to fix it with a 3/16 pop rivet. I looked at the Ideal 90 I have and the frame is completly different than yours. Roger

I'd try putting a number of small tack welds around it with a with wire feed welder.
Very short bursts won't make much heat.

Yeah, my thought would be the same. Leather actually tends to be fairly heat resistant, at least good, heavy leather will be. It can dry out and crack with enough heat, but there are lots of applications where leather is used as a heat shield because it resists heat well (e.g., a blacksmith's apron or welder's gloves).

I don't think JB will work here either - would look into a tack weld.

Not directly related to Lou's question, but we talked about it on Saturday's ride - here is the reintroduction of Ideale saddles by Victoire cycles in France
Supposed to be available in September.
http://www.victoire-cycles.com/en/news/come-back-idéale-saddles.html
250€
handmade and likely under closer supervision than an equivalent Asian import.

and for those who were asking on Lou's saddle, can't see the failed joint on the top of the frame - it's between the leather rivets.

Last edited:
Back