When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideale 90 damaged--is there a solution?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
gottcha
Ideale bottom 2.jpg

I don't think JB weld would last in the long run I agree a few very small tack welds would fix it

Since all the force is downward I see no reason why JB would not be sufficient. Doesn't look like it was welded originally, just a compressing fit between the rod and washer. You can see grooves where that washer was compressed and dug into frame rod.

Since all the force is downward I see no reason why JB would not be sufficient. Doesn't look like it was welded originally, just a compressing fit between the rod and washer. You can see grooves where that washer was compressed and dug into frame rod.
it actually isn't, bro.
It broke in bending load from the combination of weight dynamics and shear loading from the clamp force on the rails. There is a tension side to the failure.

Ha, just got worse. I was going to drill out the broken part of the support. Tapped it with an awl and the washer--that I thought was welded to the frame --popped off. I can now see that the support is milled to a smaller diameter (the piece is still there--now under the frame) and then inserted through the washer and into a hole in the frame. Yes, some welding is in order!
Ideale 04.jpg

now with that washer gone, you could set up a decent fillet weld.
I have a buddy who's a welding engineer, works out of his house, and could knock it out - he always feels indebted to me because I give him access to lab equipment

He made a couple of similar welds on a VO front rack for me once
y4T4BcI.jpg

had to change the angle on the canti-bosses to get the fork crown stud inserted.

Last edited:
Yes. Makes sense. Really don't want to have to remove the top and mess up those beautiful rivets. Thanks to Ron I believe we have a skilled welder. Let you know how it turns out.

Back